Old 28-03-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Subscribing to rpm

I note with joy how many have begun to post here on rpm. Feels more
and more like our former welcoming community.

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. The charter sets the
group as open to all. It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

Jim

Old 28-03-2007, 07:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 28, 12:06�am, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:
I note with joy how many have begun to post here on rpm. *Feels more
and more like our former welcoming community.

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. *The charter sets the
group as open to all. *It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

Jim

==============================

Great idea!

Old 28-03-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I note with joy how many have begun to post here on rpm. Feels more
and more like our former welcoming community.

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. The charter sets the
group as open to all. It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

======================
What do you mean formally subscribe? I'm accessing RPM through my NSP. I
subscribe through them.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-03-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. The charter sets the
group as open to all. It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

How do you do this ?

I post using Thunderbird and an ISP provider.

Old 28-03-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I note with joy how many have begun to post here on rpm. Feels more
and more like our former welcoming community.

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. The charter sets the
group as open to all. It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

When Google Groups reports "subscription", that's purely the number of
people who are subscribed via google groups. Those of us reading from our
own NSPs _are_ subscribed - but not to google.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 28-03-2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

About subscribing....My ignorance! I thought the Google number was a
full count rather than a proprietary Google count! As an open club,
we have as many members as we have posters. I like the numbers I
see. It is really nice to have the pond group up again.

Jim

Old 28-03-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
I note with joy how many have begun to post here on rpm. *Feels more
and more like our former welcoming community.

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. *The charter sets the
group as open to all. *It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

Jim

==============================

Great idea!

Except that many access through other ISPs and news services.

I use Giganews for my Usenet access. Higher retention and a larger
selection of groups than offered by Google or regular ISPs. Google
bought Usenet a fgew years ago and has adapted it to its own format for
Google viewers.

My ISP (SBCGlobal) does not carry this group. Most ISPs have severely
cut back on offering news, with low retention and eliminating the binary
groups (take up too much bandwidth).

Old 28-03-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

wrote:
I note with joy how many have begun to post here on rpm. Feels more
and more like our former welcoming community.

I note too that only 4 people have subscribed. The charter sets the
group as open to all. It would be nice to have more of us formally
subscribe.

Jim

==============================

Great idea!

Except that many access through other ISPs and news services.

You replied to my impersonator, not me. I access Usenet through several
free NSPs (news service providers).

brevity snip

My ISP (SBCGlobal) does not carry this group. Most ISPs have severely
cut back on offering news, with low retention and eliminating the binary
groups (take up too much bandwidth).

This is true. It doesn't only take up bandwidth, but I was told the abuse
complaints they received concerning those using Usenet was astronomical.
There's just too much room for abuse and subsequently law-suits. It wasn't
worth it to them as there are both free and pay NSPs out there. If I had to
access Usenet through Goolge I would give up on it altogether.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-03-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote in
:

Except that many access through other ISPs and news services.

I use Giganews for my Usenet access. Higher retention and a larger
selection of groups than offered by Google or regular ISPs. Google
bought Usenet a fgew years ago and has adapted it to its own format
for Google viewers.

My ISP (SBCGlobal) does not carry this group. Most ISPs have severely
cut back on offering news, with low retention and eliminating the
binary groups (take up too much bandwidth).

Really? I don't think so. I've been accessing rpm through
news.snet.sbcglobal.net since 15 March... Tom Ippolito (SBCGlobal
Usnenet guru) added it to the sbcglobal servers, like, ten hours after I
asked for it.

You might want to go to sbcglobal.help.tech.newsgroups, or send Tom an
email at to ask if there is some account or
technical issue with you. From where I sit, SBC has the best Usenet
support of any provider I've ever had, and they'll add groups based on
a single user's request, binary or not (retention times are shorter
than Giganews, though... *shrug*). If they're your ISP, Giganews should
be a redundant expense.

Regards
DaveZ

Old 28-03-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"drsolo" wrote in
.com:

there are way more than 4 people subbed. what are you looking at?
Ingrid

Google Groups, which only picked up rpm yesterday (i think?)

Google Groups != Usenet

To the OP, different users will access rec.ponds.moderated in different
ways, and Google Groups is only one method for access. That subscription
statistic is not very meaningful, except if it is for a Group set up
exclusively for access through Google, like "The Freshwater Aquarium".

Regards
DaveZ

Old 28-03-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Yes, the Google interface is terrible, especially trying to navigate
through the threads. My text newsreader (I'm on Mac and use the
excellent MTNewswatcher) takes up about 1/4 of my desktop when fully
open in any group and I can view up to 1000 threads at once.

The only problem is that Google is now setting up some proprietary
groups that can't be seen on other NSPs. Needless to say I avoid them.

Old 29-03-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

atomweaver wrote:

Google Groups, which only picked up rpm yesterday (i think?)

Google Groups != Usenet

From what I saw Google only got the posts from the minute it picked up
the group....I also assume, looking at the stats, that these are also
based on members who have joined since it picked up the group - my
understanding is that it shows active members irrespective of whether
they subscribe via Usenet or google - maybe we should all unsubcribe and
then resubscribe via our NSPs to get the stats up - just kidding.....the
number of posters stands out on it's own. Certainly the stats on number
of posts reflect this rather than the stats that go back to the creation
of the group as there a certainly people who have posted more often than
have made the top poster list....

To the OP, different users will access rec.ponds.moderated in different
ways, and Google Groups is only one method for access. That subscription
statistic is not very meaningful, except if it is for a Group set up
exclusively for access through Google, like "The Freshwater Aquarium".

A google group such as TFA indeed takes it's membership stats from those
that join.....but because of the way it is set up anyone can read it so
even then the statistics would be not a true indication of
readership...I am not clear as to how google gathers the stats on
membership for a Usenet group - is it by those that join up via their
NSPs or is it by those that post to the group?......interesting academic
question I suppose.....but in reality whatever the group is the
indication of the success of a group is not statistics but the number of
names on the page discussing pond or fish related subjects....those that
lurk and learn.......

Gill

Regards
DaveZ

Old 29-03-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
atomweaver wrote:

Kurt wrote in
:

[...]

Had been using news.la.sbcglobal.net, but since using Giganews for a few
years. Forgot to do a list rebuild. Now it shows.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

rpm Tristan Ponds 1 05-01-2007 05:36 AM
Subscribing Orchid Magazines Dicky Orchids 6 10-05-2004 04:10 PM