Old 29-03-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
SoozieCue SoozieCue is offline

Default Bolting broccoli and bok choy

As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants)
are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the
pre-flower bolting growth and keep growing them as long as the weather
stays cool as it should this time of year. I don't know where you live,
but here in Wisconsin, we had a couple, three days of temps in the upper
60's - low 70's, and everything sproinged out of the ground as though it
was May. And folks still don't think global warming is real and this is
"normal?" Geepers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

SoozieCue
Persephone wrote:
I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok
choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward
to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!

Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye
winter greens!

Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost
cause.

Damn, damn, damn!

We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo
hot/cold like the East.

OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks
are jumping up.

Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...

Persephone