Old 29-03-2007, 10:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Once-A-Year Fertlizer

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:00:37 CST, "Bonnie NJ"
wrote:

Has anyone tried the Once-A-Year Fertizlers? I noticed them in the catalog I just received - sounds really good. The fewer trips into my pond the better.
Bonnie
NJ

I only know of one, AgSafe Aquatic-Spikes. I was a bit leery when I
put them in pots last year, because of the 12-20-8 mix of nutrients,
however they work great. I didn't notice too much growth from the
slightly higher nitrogen content, I've been using a 1-2-1 ratio
fertilizer for several years and it works well for blooming plants.

Lilies bloomed well and grew pretty fast. I repotted the yellow the
other day and it had grown to the pot and had a big root jumping the
pot (3gal paint bucket) looking for more room to grow. I haven't
noticed any others jumping the pots, but they bloomed well too.
I'll get to the others when I get more energy and a little time.

I also had a lotus in a 20 gal half barrel (4 stakes instead of 2 for
lilies) and it produced well. This year I had enough tubers to give
to all my friends and had to toss a few.

Cheaper fertilizer is available, but I haven't found it to be as
convenient.

Regards,

Hal