Old 26-03-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Once-A-Year Fertlizer

Has anyone tried the Once-A-Year Fertizlers? I noticed them in the catalog I just received - sounds really good. The fewer trips into my pond the better.
Bonnie
NJ
Old 26-03-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I haven't tried them but it seems to me that unless they are humongous they
would be insufficient. The lilies in particular like so much fertilizer
during the growing season my guess is they wouldn't be releasing enough to
last a year. JMO
Bill

Old 27-03-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi, Bonnie,

How are your veggie filters doing? Your celery is taking off in our
small veggie filter. New green growth for the new year. It is the
only veggie filter plant that is operating well just now. The
hyacinths have not launched for the season and the parrots feather is
a slow enough grower that it does not really contribute to filtration
much. The celery, OTOH grows like mad as the warm season approaches.

Jim

Old 29-03-2007, 10:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:00:37 CST, "Bonnie NJ"
wrote:

Has anyone tried the Once-A-Year Fertizlers? I noticed them in the catalog I just received - sounds really good. The fewer trips into my pond the better.
Bonnie
NJ

I only know of one, AgSafe Aquatic-Spikes. I was a bit leery when I
put them in pots last year, because of the 12-20-8 mix of nutrients,
however they work great. I didn't notice too much growth from the
slightly higher nitrogen content, I've been using a 1-2-1 ratio
fertilizer for several years and it works well for blooming plants.

Lilies bloomed well and grew pretty fast. I repotted the yellow the
other day and it had grown to the pot and had a big root jumping the
pot (3gal paint bucket) looking for more room to grow. I haven't
noticed any others jumping the pots, but they bloomed well too.
I'll get to the others when I get more energy and a little time.

I also had a lotus in a 20 gal half barrel (4 stakes instead of 2 for
lilies) and it produced well. This year I had enough tubers to give
to all my friends and had to toss a few.

Cheaper fertilizer is available, but I haven't found it to be as
convenient.

Regards,

Hal

Old 29-03-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I also had a lotus in a 20 gal half barrel (4 stakes instead of 2 for
lilies) and it produced well. This year I had enough tubers to give
to all my friends and had to toss a few.

If you ever want to mail out some of thos lotus tubers, let me know.
I would gladly pay postage.

Jim

Old 29-03-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

You know, our lilies have jumped the pots and are spreading on the
cement bottom of out pond, among the milk crates that used to hold
their pans. How could I fertilize that kind of lily?

Jim

Old 29-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
You know, our lilies have jumped the pots and are spreading on the
cement bottom of out pond, among the milk crates that used to hold
their pans. How could I fertilize that kind of lily?

============================
If they're growing well in the detritus on the bottom, they're probably
getting what they need already.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Don't forget that most ponds are deficient in potassium (K). It helps
solve the algae problem. Plants can't use nitrogen if they don't have
enough potassium. When I bring my pots up from the bottom of the pond,
I will add the potash and put spikes on the lilies. The Agsafe Aquatic
Spikes look good. I will try them. Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Once A Year Fertilizer Bonnie NJ Ponds (moderated) 5 28-03-2007 03:08 PM
fertlizer? Charles Manoras Bamboo 4 28-06-2006 07:10 PM
Good Year / Bad Year Susan United Kingdom 7 13-06-2005 05:21 PM
fertlizer injector Gary & Karen Gardening 1 21-05-2005 10:53 PM
Homemade under_gravel fertlizer caren Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 14-05-2005 09:06 PM