Old 29-03-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default I need some instructions on how to dig my own pond

wrote:

i live in vermont with very clay soil
and want to dig a "big" pond for swimming in the summer
and skating in the winter.

How big is "big?"

Talk to the soil conservation people; they will likely have a list of
preferred contractors who have the needed capability. And there are other
factors, like the amount of watershed that feeds it vs. max rainfall in a
long period, which determines the spillway needed.

My 2/3 acre pond was built in 4 days by a maniac with a turbocharged D-6.
And yes, I know about clay...