Old 30-03-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT MikeCT is offline

Default Prunus incisa

"Sacha" wrote in a message:
I'm afraid I don't remember who recommended this but I'm in their debt!
Ray had to go down to the Duchy Nursery the other day and he brought me
back a Prunus incisa Kojo-no-mai. It's a gorgeous plant and a good one
for people looking for smaller trees as it's slow growing to 3 metres.
We've planted it among the acers by the wildlife pond and it's in full
bloom now, so it flowers at a 'useful' time of year, too.
--

Hi Sacha,

I wrote the original message to the group. My little tree is five years old
this year, just over 7 feet tall and like yours, in full flower now. I have
it growing in a semi shaded position where it receives sun in the early
morning and late afternoon/evening during the spring and summer months. The
rest of the time it is in shade. As recommended, I give it a slight trim in
the early autumn to keep it in reasonable shape. It IS a super little tree,
coming into its own in spring and early autumn when the leaves change colour
to all shades of brown. Just a word of caution however, don't be too heavy
handed with the trimming, remember the trunk grows with the tree and can,
after a few years, make your Prunus's trunk look too big for the rest of the
tree. Look after it well, and I hope you and your husband Ray enjoy it
throughout the seasons.

MikeCT