Old 30-03-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Christmas roses

On 28 Mar 2007 12:40:47 -0700, "june"
wrote:

Hi
In 2005 my Christmas roses produced an abundance of flowers. At
Christmas 2006 nothing was visible, not even leaves. Has anyone else
found the same?
June

In my experience, helleborus niger, the Christmas rose, is more
difficult to keep than the more common hellborus orientalis, (now
known as h. hybridus) the "Lenten rose".
H. niger is more fussy about soil and position. At a lecture I went to
recently I discovered that I am not alone in finding this and that
they sometimes do better in pots. I have had several over the years,
and lost them. I now have 2, in pots, which have flowered well this
year; one was £1.99 from Lidl!
I am going to keep them potted this year and see what happens.

Pam in Bristol