Old 28-03-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Christmas roses

Hi
In 2005 my Christmas roses produced an abundance of flowers. At
Christmas 2006 nothing was visible, not even leaves. Has anyone else
found the same?
June

Old 28-03-2007, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

june writes
Hi
In 2005 my Christmas roses produced an abundance of flowers. At
Christmas 2006 nothing was visible, not even leaves. Has anyone else
found the same?

Has anything appeared since?
--
Kay
Old 29-03-2007, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

june wrote:
In 2005 my Christmas roses produced an abundance of flowers. At
Christmas 2006 nothing was visible, not even leaves. Has anyone else
found the same?

I have what is more of a Lenten rose than a Christmas rose (just
finishing flowering now). It's flowered well this year but didn't
flower at all last year, but the year before (Spring 2005) it flowered
well. Maybe they do alternate years?

Rhiannon
Old 30-03-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar 2007 12:40:47 -0700, "june"
wrote:

Hi
In 2005 my Christmas roses produced an abundance of flowers. At
Christmas 2006 nothing was visible, not even leaves. Has anyone else
found the same?
June

In my experience, helleborus niger, the Christmas rose, is more
difficult to keep than the more common hellborus orientalis, (now
known as h. hybridus) the "Lenten rose".
H. niger is more fussy about soil and position. At a lecture I went to
recently I discovered that I am not alone in finding this and that
they sometimes do better in pots. I have had several over the years,
and lost them. I now have 2, in pots, which have flowered well this
year; one was £1.99 from Lidl!
I am going to keep them potted this year and see what happens.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-03-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi
In 2005 my Christmas roses produced an abundance of flowers. At
Christmas 2006 nothing was visible, not even leaves. Has anyone else
found the same?
June

In my experience, helleborus niger, the Christmas rose, is more
difficult to keep than the more common hellborus orientalis, (now
known as h. hybridus) the "Lenten rose".
H. niger is more fussy about soil and position. At a lecture I went to
recently I discovered that I am not alone in finding this and that
they sometimes do better in pots. I have had several over the years,
and lost them. I now have 2, in pots, which have flowered well this
year; one was £1.99 from Lidl!
I am going to keep them potted this year and see what happens.

Pam in Bristol

Pam are you still growing cardumen?

Judith

Christmas roses june Gardening 0 28-03-2007 09:01 PM
Christmas roses june Gardening 0 28-03-2007 09:00 PM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM
Roses where other roses have been Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 11 12-03-2003 09:00 PM