Old 19-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Time to fess up - What the most you've paid?

Wendy wrote:

I have 3 @ $40.00 each.
Lc. Dinard ....blooms & still growing! (My very favourite orchid)
Blc. Mac Holmes 'Newberry' AM/AOS ...blooms, still going strong.
Phrag. schroderae V. roseum .....Bloomed once for me, but going down hill
!!!

For a single plant, or in a single trip? The latter is probably
incriminating, so I won't say... I've spent 150 on a plant before.
That is too much, and I believe that this plant has gone to visit the
puppies in heaven. The expensive ones (or the awarded ones) die much
too easily. I did just spend 100 on a nice division of Paph. Winston
Churchill "Redoubtable". I didn't know how much I was spending until I
got the plant, I should have asked first. But it is nice... I'd say
that 100 is pretty cheap for breeding stock (stud) divisions of paphs.
Actually there are several studs I want which cost far more than that
(one is 1000!!), and I'll probably never get them.

I usually don't buy anything that is much more than 15 dollars.
That is the vast majority of my purchases. I will spend good money on
flasks or compots, but I rationalize that by dividing the total cost by
the number of plants... *grin* I actually don't buy that many plants
anymore (except for cycnoches... and the good ones cost real money there
too).

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit