Old 27-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

Our community has a large tract of wooded land which is scheduled for
clear-cutting this summer. At any rate, I contacted our city manager's
office and have been given a permit to collect anything/everything I want
from the area to be cleared. There seems to be a pretty good variety of
trees including Beech, Maple, Oak, Willow, supposedly some Elm and Hawthorn,
and of course some bushes, shrubs, etc. My question is this: is there any
telltale giveaway means to tell what is what without leaves (e.g. bark,
buds, etc)? I'm fairly good at being able to determine a tree by the leaf;
but can't do it very well by the bark (except stuff like Birch & Beech). If
anyone knows right off hand, thanks in advance. If not, is there a good
guide that I could check out at the library?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++