Old 27-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

Our community has a large tract of wooded land which is scheduled for
clear-cutting this summer. At any rate, I contacted our city manager's
office and have been given a permit to collect anything/everything I want
from the area to be cleared. There seems to be a pretty good variety of
trees including Beech, Maple, Oak, Willow, supposedly some Elm and Hawthorn,
and of course some bushes, shrubs, etc. My question is this: is there any
telltale giveaway means to tell what is what without leaves (e.g. bark,
buds, etc)? I'm fairly good at being able to determine a tree by the leaf;
but can't do it very well by the bark (except stuff like Birch & Beech). If
anyone knows right off hand, thanks in advance. If not, is there a good
guide that I could check out at the library?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Sam Williams

Hey,

I recommend Audubon's Eastern Trees field guide, or the Petersons
field guides. They are excellent, but the problem comes when you are looking
at a young tree but the book has a picture of a fully mature tree. I have
learned a lot from simply studying field guides. Hope I helped some!

Sam

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2003, 11:32 PM
kevin bailey

You can learn a certain amount from books but this is one of the areas
where I would heartily recommend that you find an expert in your area's
trees and accompany him or her on a field visit. I've found that
learning to spot them through actually seeing the bark, buds, growth
habit and environment is the easiest and best way to retain all of the
nuances. As you have permission to collect, try asking the chairman of a
local bonsai society if they can recommend anyone. I'm certain that
someone will JUMP at the chance to help you.

Living with a collected version of each plant for a few years will
cement the details into your sphere of knowledge.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
Zone 9, North Wales, UK

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2003, 11:44 PM
David J. Bockman

Peterson's Field Guide to North American Trees is a good, portable book.
Wish I could go! I'd key out anything you wanted P

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Anita Hawkins

"Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)" wrote:
... My question is this: is there any
telltale giveaway means to tell what is what without leaves

Hi Jeff, congrats on this wonderful opportunity!

The best resource to take with you is someone local who knows the
species likely to be there, and how to ID them. Also someone with a
strong back to cheerfully help pack your trees out.. I'd come myself,
but it's a bit of a drive

Next best resource is the Peterson Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs of
Eastern/Central N. America. NOT the newer one which is only Trees...
there's a lot of potensai amongst the understory shrubs! You should be
able to find this at the library. Better yet, get one used from www.
bookfinder.com or similar source, for your permanent library.
Shouldn't run you more than $8 or 10.

In the back of the book is a Key to leafless trees. The best
identifier is not bark, but buds. You can tell opposite from alternate
right off, and there are other easy characteristics. You mentioned
beech, it has unique long pointed buds with straw-colored covering.
Oaks have buds clustered at the tip of each twig. Willow should have
buds greening and swelling by now, and the year-old twigs will be
green or yellow. Hawthorn has thorns (!) but so do some crabapples;
haw buds are fat and round and reddish, crabs are very tiny. Bring a
cheap magnifying glass to look at stipule scars, one of the main
things the Key will want you to look for.

If you don't have time to key out a twig, you can get a clue to what
sort of trees/shrubs are in the area by looking at the leaves on the
ground, just don't expect them to still be next to the precise tree
they came off!

If you still don't know what it is, and it has a great trunk, go
ahead, dig it up and try! My only caution is to avoid mystery trees
with thick twigs and coarse branching patterns, these nearly always
turn out to be a disappointment.

Oh, and be sure you can recognize poison ivy or oak leafless...

Enjoy!
Anita

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Hey,

I recommend Audubon's Eastern Trees field guide, or the

Petersons
field guides. They are excellent, but the problem comes when

you are looking
at a young tree but the book has a picture of a fully mature

tree. I have
learned a lot from simply studying field guides. Hope I helped

some!

For winter (bare) Tree and shrub ID the Audubon book is better
than Peterson's. It shows bark. There is a pair of books (whose
titles TOTALLY escape me) that show photos of twigs, bud scars,
etc.. They are large (10x11 at LEAST!). One deals with shrubs
and the other with trees. B&N has carried them locally; I've not
seen them at other book stores (and come to think of it I haven't
seen them at all, lately, so maybe they're OUP.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 28-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Anita Hawkins

Jeff - Here's an online resource worth checking out!

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...treesindex.htm

Trees of Ohio, and the links for each species show a close up of buds
and bark as well as leaves. Maybe you can print out that whole list to
take with you

Some of the species worth doing bonsai with on that list, from my
experience, a
European Black Alder (Alnus glutinosa)
Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis)
Baldcypress (Taxodium distichum)
American Beech (Fagus grandifolia)
Blue Beech aka American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana)
Blackhaw (Viburnum prunifolium)
Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)
Burning Bush (Euonymus alatus)
Black Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa)
American Crabapple (Malus coronaria)
Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis)
Hawthorn (Crataegus species)
Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)
Amur Honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii)
American Hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana)
Red Maple (Acer rubrum)
Virginia Pine (Pinus virginiana)
American Plum (Prunus americana)
Thicket Serviceberry (Amelanchier canadensis)

Other list-friends may want to add to the above.

My personal favorites, which you might want to be sure you can
recognize, are Hornbean, blackhaw (*super* bark texture, even when
young, responds well to root and top pruning, great fall color;
branching pattern tends to be rather stiff and perpendicular, Burning
Bush (dig a great *trunk* and grow out), crabapple and serviceberry.

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Craig Cowing

Sam Williams wrote:

Hey,

I recommend Audubon's Eastern Trees field guide, or the Petersons
field guides. They are excellent, but the problem comes when you are looking
at a young tree but the book has a picture of a fully mature tree. I have
learned a lot from simply studying field guides. Hope I helped some!

Sam

I use the Audibon guide for Eastern Trees. Very good.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Craig Cowing

Anita Hawkins wrote:

"Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)" wrote:
... My question is this: is there any
telltale giveaway means to tell what is what without leaves

Hi Jeff, congrats on this wonderful opportunity!

The best resource to take with you is someone local who knows the
species likely to be there, and how to ID them. Also someone with a
strong back to cheerfully help pack your trees out.. I'd come myself,
but it's a bit of a drive
snip

If you don't have time to key out a twig, you can get a clue to what
sort of trees/shrubs are in the area by looking at the leaves on the
ground, just don't expect them to still be next to the precise tree
they came off!

If you still don't know what it is, and it has a great trunk, go
ahead, dig it up and try! My only caution is to avoid mystery trees
with thick twigs and coarse branching patterns, these nearly always
turn out to be a disappointment.

Oh, and be sure you can recognize poison ivy or oak leafless...

Enjoy!
Anita

Other giveaways are if the tree holds on to its leaves during winter--hornbeam,
oak, beech for example. One trick I use, although it is not foolproof, is to look
at the leaves on the ground near the tree. I use this as a secondary method
though. The buds and bark are the best way.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Thanks to EVERYONE. All suggestions and recommendations were excellent.
And, as at least one person suggested, if I can't identify it and it has a
nice trunk - it's coming home with me! I'll probably never have another
chance like this again. I just wish it would dry out a little bit...I'm
getting a little old to lug around 40 lbs. of mud on each foot while
carrying trees, tools...!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 28-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Craig Cowing

"Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)" wrote:

Thanks to EVERYONE. All suggestions and recommendations were excellent.
And, as at least one person suggested, if I can't identify it and it has a
nice trunk - it's coming home with me! I'll probably never have another
chance like this again. I just wish it would dry out a little bit...I'm
getting a little old to lug around 40 lbs. of mud on each foot while
carrying trees, tools...!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

I just tried something this week for dragging stuff around. I have a couple of
black mortar mix pans from Home Depot. I tied a piece of nylon rope in the hole on
one end and put my tools in it and dragged it around on the pastures where I've
been collecting. It works pretty well, and you can put a big tree or several small
ones in it. Dragging it uphill was a chore, but much easier to hold on to than a
gangly tree with roots all over the place.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Anita Hawkins

H Jeff, Jim;

Jim Lewis wrote:

For winter (bare) Tree and shrub ID the Audubon book is better
than Peterson's. It shows bark.

Bark helps, but often puzzles me on younger trees, they all seem to
look alike which is why I suggested the Petersons, for the
bud-based Key. Does the Audubon book have a key, Jim?? I can't recall,
and I know your bookshelf is closer than mine.

...There is a pair of books (whose
titles TOTALLY escape me) that show photos of twigs, bud scars,
etc.. They are large (10x11 at LEAST!). One deals with shrubs
and the other with trees.

Shrub Identification Book by George Symonds, and the rather thinner
Tree Identification Book. These are excellent, but a bit much to carry
out collecting

Anita

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Jim Lewis

H Jeff, Jim;

Jim Lewis wrote:

For winter (bare) Tree and shrub ID the Audubon book is

better
than Peterson's. It shows bark.

Bark helps, but often puzzles me on younger trees, they all

seem to
look alike which is why I suggested the Petersons, for the
bud-based Key. Does the Audubon book have a key, Jim?? I can't

recall,
and I know your bookshelf is closer than mine.

No "key" in the sense you mean, Anita. Audubon calls the photo
pages "keys" and they key in on flowers, leaves, bark, etc..

...There is a pair of books (whose
titles TOTALLY escape me) that show photos of twigs, bud

scars,
etc.. They are large (10x11 at LEAST!). One deals with

shrubs
and the other with trees.

Shrub Identification Book by George Symonds, and the rather

thinner
Tree Identification Book. These are excellent, but a bit much

to carry
out collecting

Those 'r them. And you're right . . . but if you have a
wheelbarrow . . .

Old 28-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Sam Williams

Hey again,

A very helpful hint.... I will try to be as discriptive as possible.

During the winter, poison Ivy looks like slightly zig-zagged, light
grey to brown twigs. The buds are really thin and orange-pink. They have a
large leaf scar. Sometimes you can see the rootlettes on the plants too.
Poison Ivy is also called poison oak in the eastern US. The only true poison
OAK is in the west. But Poison Ivy in the east comes in two forms. The vine
with hair like rootlettes and as plants like a young oak sapling. During
summer, the leaflettes can be oak shaped and/or lance shaped. I hope I was
of some assistance! ( I know how much of a nuisance Poison Ivy is...I have
scars from the pest!)

Sam Williams

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Jay Sinclair

Another possibility is the very small and inexpensive paperback key by May
Theilgaard Watts called Tree Finder, ISBN 0-912550-01-5. There is also a Winter
Tree Finder, ISBN 0-912550-03-1. I have seen them at museums and nature center gift
shops, as well as book stores. They are beginner friendly keys, taking you step by
step to the identity of many common North American trees. I've used them
successfully with middle & high school students.

Jay

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++