Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Ralph & His Clowder Ralph & His Clowder is offline

Default Skimmers

If I can't make something, I'll try the no-nitch. It looks pretty simple
to install, Thanks!
Gabrielle

~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:24:32 CST, Ralph & His Clowder
wrote:

After a recent wind storm that blew all sorts of debris (especially
orange blossoms) into my pond, I'm starting to consider a skimmer for my
1500 gallon pond. It would have to be retrofitted, so it needs to be as
simple as possible. Any advice? Any brand recommendations? Has anyone
made their own instead of buying one?

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

I know people who have made side skimmers using utility sinks.

I had to do my (no nitch) skimmer & bottom drain as a retrofit. You can see
a diagram on my webpage (below) under My Filter. We have moved the skimmer
since this diagram, as I needed the island removed so the fish had more
room. Now the hose to the skimmer is connected to the bottom drain hose,
and closer to the side of the pond, rather than in the middle. ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a