Old 30-03-2007, 06:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Skimmers

After a recent wind storm that blew all sorts of debris (especially
orange blossoms) into my pond, I'm starting to consider a skimmer for my
1500 gallon pond. It would have to be retrofitted, so it needs to be as
simple as possible. Any advice? Any brand recommendations? Has anyone
made their own instead of buying one?

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Old 30-03-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:24:32 CST, Ralph & His Clowder
wrote:

After a recent wind storm that blew all sorts of debris (especially
orange blossoms) into my pond, I'm starting to consider a skimmer for my
1500 gallon pond. It would have to be retrofitted, so it needs to be as
simple as possible. Any advice? Any brand recommendations? Has anyone
made their own instead of buying one?

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

I know people who have made side skimmers using utility sinks.

I had to do my (no nitch) skimmer & bottom drain as a retrofit. You can see
a diagram on my webpage (below) under My Filter. We have moved the skimmer
since this diagram, as I needed the island removed so the fish had more
room. Now the hose to the skimmer is connected to the bottom drain hose,
and closer to the side of the pond, rather than in the middle. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 30-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

After a recent wind storm that blew all sorts of debris (especially
orange blossoms) into my pond, I'm starting to consider a skimmer for my
1500 gallon pond. It would have to be retrofitted, so it needs to be as
simple as possible. Any advice? Any brand recommendations? Has anyone
made their own instead of buying one?

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Someone used a net bag with a stream of water pumped into the opening
that was half submerged. That should work well in a round pond, but
mine has some dead spots the current from the pumped stream didn't
effect.

Regards,

Hal

Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'll try something like this -- there's a spot in my somewhat round spot
where a lot of junk collects so I might have some luck. If not, I'll try
a no nitch.
Gabrielle

Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 01:52:43 CST, Ralph & His Clowder
wrote:

I'll try something like this -- there's a spot in my somewhat round spot
where a lot of junk collects so I might have some luck. If not, I'll try
a no nitch.
Gabrielle

Here's a no nitch without all the (outside) plumbing:
http://www.aqua-mart.com/skimmer-pondmaster.html or
http://www.aqua-mart.com/skimmer-oase.html

Hal wrote:
Someone used a net bag with a stream of water pumped into the opening
that was half submerged. That should work well in a round pond, but
mine has some dead spots the current from the pumped stream didn't
effect. Hal

I was trying to find a picture of that, unfortunately Aqua-Mart doesn't
carry it any more. I'll have to do some searching. I have seen this one in
action, and imho, I'd rather have one of the no-nitch above. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal wrote:
Someone used a net bag with a stream of water pumped into the opening
that was half submerged. That should work well in a round pond, but
mine has some dead spots the current from the pumped stream didn't
effect. Hal

Here's the one I was thinking of, though the picture doesn't it do it
justice as far as showing how it works:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynw9ul ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 04-04-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal wrote:
Someone used a net bag with a stream of water pumped into the opening
that was half submerged. That should work well in a round pond, but
mine has some dead spots the current from the pumped stream didn't
effect. Hal

I was trying to find a picture of that, unfortunately Aqua-Mart doesn't
carry it any more. I'll have to do some searching. I have seen this one
in
action, and imho, I'd rather have one of the no-nitch above. ~ jan

OK Jan, I'll bite - what is "no nitch" :~
Gale :~)

Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 18:59:15 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

Here's a no nitch without all the (outside) plumbing:
http://www.aqua-mart.com/skimmer-pondmaster.html or
http://www.aqua-mart.com/skimmer-oase.html

OK Jan, I'll bite - what is "no nitch" :~
Gale :~)

Pictured in the websites above... at least the floating round portion of
it. Not sure why they call it no nitch. Anyone? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Here's a no nitch without all the (outside) plumbing:
http://www.aqua-mart.com/skimmer-pondmaster.html or
http://www.aqua-mart.com/skimmer-oase.html

OK Jan, I'll bite - what is "no nitch" :~
Gale :~)

Pictured in the websites above... at least the floating round portion of
it. Not sure why they call it no nitch. Anyone? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Maybe because it doesn't sit in a nitch (or niche) at the edge of the pond?
Gabrielle

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Keeping water hyacinths out of skimmers Remydog Ponds 8 13-05-2004 06:06 PM
Skimmers? KRF Ponds 8 10-03-2004 04:14 AM
DIY Skimmers - Questions? Lisa Ponds 16 18-06-2003 10:08 PM
Pond skimmers question Joel Ponds 0 21-04-2003 07:20 PM
Skimmers and Bottom Drains BenignVanilla Ponds 6 03-02-2003 02:06 PM