Old 06-04-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Soft water and calcium

A fish farmer in Ft Valley (Within a 20mi radius) raises his fish in
clay ponds with a pH of 6, now that is acid. I tried to explain that
my pH is always at 7.8 or slightly higher with a KH of one degree or
close to 20 ppm. The pH being higher than neutral and the KH being so
close to 0 where a pH crash is most probable, is the reason I use the
pill. It seems a reasonable risk. What I would like is to raise the
KH a bit so I don't have to sweat a heavy rainstorm that might deplete
the small amount of carbonates that keeps the pH stable. We have
heavy rainstorms almost every time Florida, and many times the gulf
has a hurricane. (Location: Middle Georgia.)

I tried baking soda and it is so temporary that it is a real pain to
keep it up. There is also the probability that I will get distracted
and miss a week.

Regards,

Hal

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:15:31 CST, "drsolo" wrote:

with limestone there is no need to add much of anything else. your water is
hard enough altho never use copper in there.

those pH pills can kill the fish when dropped into very soft, very acidic
water. for some reason the pH swings up and down and doest stabilize.
stability is what you are after. Jo Ann has big honker koi in acidic water
treated only with organic dolomitic limestone. Ingrid

I have
reached 50 ppm, but seldom see 100 ppm in my pond