Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Soft water and calcium

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:00:56 CST, Hal wrote:

A fish farmer in Ft Valley (Within a 20mi radius) raises his fish in
clay ponds with a pH of 6, now that is acid. I tried to explain that
my pH is always at 7.8 or slightly higher with a KH of one degree or
close to 20 ppm. The pH being higher than neutral and the KH being so
close to 0 where a pH crash is most probable, is the reason I use the
pill. It seems a reasonable risk. What I would like is to raise the
KH a bit so I don't have to sweat a heavy rainstorm that might deplete
the small amount of carbonates that keeps the pH stable. We have
heavy rainstorms almost every time Florida, and many times the gulf
has a hurricane. (Location: Middle Georgia.)

I tried baking soda and it is so temporary that it is a real pain to
keep it up. There is also the probability that I will get distracted
and miss a week.
Hal

Hal, what is your pH, KH out of the tap? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us