Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Lemon & Lime seeds

"Dave Poole" wrote ...

Their 'seedless' qualities are either due to them being entirely
sterile or self-sterile. Since the only way to get the same fruit
consistently is to propagate vegetatively using grafting or cuttings.
All trees in a plantation would be clones and being closely
related.they'd be self-incompatible resulting in seedless or near
seedless fruits.

Our Tahiti Lime is grown with 2 Lemon trees, an Orange tree, and Padua Lime
(fun plant) close by but not one of the 28 fruit we have harvested over the
last couple of months had a seed and I can't remember one ever having seed.
Would lend one to believe the clone/variety/hybrid is sterile.
BTW the fruit turn yellow when ripe when they also get sweeter or loose some
astringency, so you can pick to suit your requirements/taste. All the limes
in Sainsbury's ATM are Tahiti Limes (I read the label) which look exactly
like ours, like a smaller perfectly round green lemon.
Regarding warmth, oar's is outside now and will stay there unless we get a
bad cold snap, it gets treated just like all our other citrus except I put
it in the heated greenhouse in winter, min 50°F.
Together with the Lemon the Tahiti Lime is certainly worth growing.
--
Regards
Bob H