Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default I'm in love with a hummingbird (no photo)

Good for you Pat, what a wonderful experience, mine are too skittish.
Cheers Wendy

"Padraig" wrote in message
news
This afternoon I was out back reading. Earlier in the day I had bought a
fancy new hummingbird feeder to replace the old "flying saucer" shaped
thingy you've all seen in some of my photographs. I had done it because
it has only one feeding station and I thought that would make it easier to
get more consistent results, photographically.

Unfortunately the hummers loathed it. After I hung up the new one I had
placed the old saucer shaped gizmo on my patio table and pretty much
forgotten about it. As I was reading at the table I heard a familiar buzz
over to my left and turned to face a young female Anna's hummer who was
hovering above the old feeder and looking at me. It was like she was
saying "Please mister - we hate this new thing, can I have some nectar out
of the old one on the table?"

Well, how do ya turn down a request like that?

I picked up the old feeder and held it out to her and she sat down on the
rail and sipped for a while and then popped her head up and looked at me.
We continued this for maybe 3 - 4 minutes. Nice little meeting. I was
talking to her all the while and named her Lisa and said if she had a
brother I was going to name him Bart.

She finally left, but then came back 20 minutes later and we did it all
over again.

Do I have any pictures to prove all this?

No. I was all alone in the patio. I'm the guy who was holding the
feeder - not the guy who should have been shooting pics of the events.

But we had a real breakthrough moment. She knows I have no bad intentions
now. Maybe we can do it all over again tomorrow --- and maybe I can get
my wife to make a couple of shots to prove it happened!
--
Paddy's Pig