Old 07-04-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Soft water and calcium - Water Changes

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 10:42:06 CST, Hal wrote:

This morning (out of the tap) about 10 AM.
pH 7.4, KH Pale 2 degrees, GH 4 degrees
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kit
Hal

I don't know if this will work for you, or if you'd even want to do it....
The leading KHA in our club is recommending people set up a continuous drip
& over flow system. He had been giving talks (and classes) on how to use a
whole house carbon based dechlor. system for this. How to keep an eye on it
for when the carbon is used up, etc. It is really interesting for the pond
person who really likes to tinker with their pond. In his case he was
always adding BS and various other stuff. Supposedly doing a flow thru
system ends the need for a lot of chemical and med treatments. It
definitely has helped him and has added about $15/month to his water usage.
Pond size, of course is going to determine where one fall$, his is about
4,000 gallons.

I'm keeping with my once/week changes, which seem to have worked for
me water chemistry-wise. But if your tap water is good and the chemistry is
always wonky, perhaps a flow thru would work? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us