Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default @#$#()$)&%^%)(&#@ WEATHER!

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 06:06:10 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Have you looked at "pop-up" greenhouses?
Affordable and perfect for the time challenged. Just be sure to put them
up in partial shade or the sun will rot them in 3 years. I finally lost
the one I had in full sun this year but the other three erected before
that one are still ok.

My greenhouse is 10x20' and a pop up would be way too small for my
rather tall brugmansia's. The greenhouse I have is one huge piece
which fits over a pavillion frame and in summer it has a shade system
when you remove the plastic. The plastic has a seven year life,
longer if it comes down during the summer.

I actually grow seeds for nurseries as well. Things like burgundy
sunflowers, tithonia, etc. I never make a cent, but it supports my
compost addiction!

I generally scatter seeds for the ones that will eat in really nasty
weather. They are generally grateful. :-)

Hummingbirds eat seeds? What kind? They emptied three feeders twice
yesterday. I woke this morning and no hard freeze. My clematis is
still in bloom and the ponds don't have ice on them. It's cold, but
fortunately not below freezing. Hopefully THAT is the last of THAT!

I haven't braved the garden walk about yet. I just woke up and I
can't see yet, not to mention it is damn cold out thare in them thare
hills.