Old 08-04-2007, 01:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default @#$#()$)&%^%)(&#@ WEATHER!

It looks pretty grim for the tender stuff in the Austin metroplex
tonight - but my cousin in Nashville says after weeks of 80 degree
weather they predict 18F in about 10 hours.

Maybe our cold will at least moderate the insect pest population -
specifically mosquitoes :-)

My wife already made a sleetman here in Cedar Park. She's hoping to
render a snowman later this evening or in the morning.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 AM posted to austin.gardening

"jOhN" wrote in message
t...
It looks pretty grim for the tender stuff in the Austin metroplex
tonight - but my cousin in Nashville says after weeks of 80 degree
weather they predict 18F in about 10 hours.

Maybe our cold will at least moderate the insect pest population -
specifically mosquitoes :-)

My wife already made a sleetman here in Cedar Park. She's hoping to
render a snowman later this evening or in the morning.

I'm growing tomatoes for the first time in several years and was very
pleased to have several already about cherry sized, especially the black
heirlooms. The late blooming bulbs (hippeastrum ) might be liking it.
The dog and cats are driving me nuts, though...

Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 AM posted to austin.gardening

And why was it that I worked in my garden until 10:00 last sunday night? We
didn't get one in last year because we had just moved and my mom was in the
hospital about 8 times in 6 months starting the day we moved...

We just finished pulling everything in pots into the bathroom (and closed
the door to keep the cats from digging it up) and put a tarp over the garden
with two 60 watt work lights hoping to keep the new stuff from
freezing.Whatever is left out there that doesn't survive will get
re-planted. Sheesh.

Our cats our driving us crazy too. They actually went out and sat on the
patio and watched us put up the tarp and the lights...but they came RIGHT
back in....

good luck everyone!

"cat daddy" wrote in message

t...

Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 00:22:28 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

It looks pretty grim for the tender stuff in the Austin metroplex
tonight - but my cousin in Nashville says after weeks of 80 degree
weather they predict 18F in about 10 hours.

Maybe our cold will at least moderate the insect pest population -
specifically mosquitoes :-)

My wife already made a sleetman here in Cedar Park. She's hoping to
render a snowman later this evening or in the morning.

Your subject title was much kinder than mine, which would have been
mother effin weather.

I had to drag in 20 flats of annual and perennials I grow from seed,
cover about fifteen container plants which were all in 30 gallon
containers, then there are all the annuals which I felt were safe to
plant.

Oh well, my husband corrected me by telling me not to be attached to
the garden. How these words come back to haunt me!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:47 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

It looks pretty grim for the tender stuff in the Austin metroplex
tonight - but my cousin in Nashville says after weeks of 80 degree
weather they predict 18F in about 10 hours.

Maybe our cold will at least moderate the insect pest population -
specifically mosquitoes :-)

My wife already made a sleetman here in Cedar Park. She's hoping to
render a snowman later this evening or in the morning.

Your subject title was much kinder than mine, which would have been
mother effin weather.

I had to drag in 20 flats of annual and perennials I grow from seed,
cover about fifteen container plants which were all in 30 gallon
containers, then there are all the annuals which I felt were safe to
plant.

Oh well, my husband corrected me by telling me not to be attached to
the garden. How these words come back to haunt me!

You have my sympathy and best wishes that most of your garden
survives...

I tend to cheat and buy "started" plants. The only things we have going
right now are herbs, marigolds, catnip, and the asparagus is producing.
Everything else is still in the greenhouse so all I had to do was cover
3 small gardens and close the greenhouse up, then turn on the light.

I'd not gotten around to planting tomatoes yet.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

I can just see your cats watching you and thinking to themselves, "Just
what are the hairless ones up to now? Quite peculiar, no?" I've got a
continuous parade of felines wanting lap time, including the fat ones who
never do.
It seems I just emptied the kitchen of all the potted plants, mostly
bromeliads, and they're on their own. I did cover the tomatoes with sheets
to keep the sleet off them. If it doesn't drop below 35F that it is right
now, I expect they'll survive.
Good luck to you, too.

"oldhickory" wrote in message
And why was it that I worked in my garden until 10:00 last sunday night?

We
didn't get one in last year because we had just moved and my mom was in

the
hospital about 8 times in 6 months starting the day we moved...

We just finished pulling everything in pots into the bathroom (and closed
the door to keep the cats from digging it up) and put a tarp over the

garden
with two 60 watt work lights hoping to keep the new stuff from
freezing.Whatever is left out there that doesn't survive will get
re-planted. Sheesh.

Our cats our driving us crazy too. They actually went out and sat on the
patio and watched us put up the tarp and the lights...but they came RIGHT
back in....

good luck everyone!

"cat daddy" wrote in message

t...

Old 08-04-2007, 05:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:47:50 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

You have my sympathy and best wishes that most of your garden
survives...

I tend to cheat and buy "started" plants. The only things we have going
right now are herbs, marigolds, catnip, and the asparagus is producing.
Everything else is still in the greenhouse so all I had to do was cover
3 small gardens and close the greenhouse up, then turn on the light.

I'd not gotten around to planting tomatoes yet.

The greenhouse never went up last winter. I just overwintered
everything huddled together in containers, with sheets, blankets and
tarps covering everything.

I only start seeds for plants which cannot be bought at the garden
centers. Some of the sunflowers, coreopsis, beautiful cream and light
yellow sorbet four o'clocks, daturas, etc. Special stuff. I also
give a ton of it to my friends who have huge yards with one stick in
them!

Ah, well it will or won't survive. The ones I really feel for are the
wildlife. Hummingbirds, all the migrating birds, swallows, martins,
etc. I hope they make it.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:47:50 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

You have my sympathy and best wishes that most of your garden
survives...

I tend to cheat and buy "started" plants. The only things we have going
right now are herbs, marigolds, catnip, and the asparagus is producing.
Everything else is still in the greenhouse so all I had to do was cover
3 small gardens and close the greenhouse up, then turn on the light.

I'd not gotten around to planting tomatoes yet.

The greenhouse never went up last winter. I just overwintered
everything huddled together in containers, with sheets, blankets and
tarps covering everything.

Have you looked at "pop-up" greenhouses?
Affordable and perfect for the time challenged. Just be sure to put them
up in partial shade or the sun will rot them in 3 years. I finally lost
the one I had in full sun this year but the other three erected before
that one are still ok.

I only start seeds for plants which cannot be bought at the garden
centers. Some of the sunflowers, coreopsis, beautiful cream and light
yellow sorbet four o'clocks, daturas, etc. Special stuff. I also
give a ton of it to my friends who have huge yards with one stick in
them!

Ah, well it will or won't survive. The ones I really feel for are the
wildlife. Hummingbirds, all the migrating birds, swallows, martins,
etc. I hope they make it.

I generally scatter seeds for the ones that will eat in really nasty
weather. They are generally grateful. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 06:06:10 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Have you looked at "pop-up" greenhouses?
Affordable and perfect for the time challenged. Just be sure to put them
up in partial shade or the sun will rot them in 3 years. I finally lost
the one I had in full sun this year but the other three erected before
that one are still ok.

My greenhouse is 10x20' and a pop up would be way too small for my
rather tall brugmansia's. The greenhouse I have is one huge piece
which fits over a pavillion frame and in summer it has a shade system
when you remove the plastic. The plastic has a seven year life,
longer if it comes down during the summer.

I actually grow seeds for nurseries as well. Things like burgundy
sunflowers, tithonia, etc. I never make a cent, but it supports my
compost addiction!

I generally scatter seeds for the ones that will eat in really nasty
weather. They are generally grateful. :-)

Hummingbirds eat seeds? What kind? They emptied three feeders twice
yesterday. I woke this morning and no hard freeze. My clematis is
still in bloom and the ponds don't have ice on them. It's cold, but
fortunately not below freezing. Hopefully THAT is the last of THAT!

I haven't braved the garden walk about yet. I just woke up and I
can't see yet, not to mention it is damn cold out thare in them thare
hills.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Have you looked at "pop-up" greenhouses?
Affordable and perfect for the time challenged. Just be sure to put them
up in partial shade or the sun will rot them in 3 years. I finally lost
the one I had in full sun this year but the other three erected before
that one are still ok.

My greenhouse is 10x20' and a pop up would be way too small for my
rather tall brugmansia's. The greenhouse I have is one huge piece
which fits over a pavillion frame and in summer it has a shade system
when you remove the plastic. The plastic has a seven year life,
longer if it comes down during the summer.

Sounds cool.

My pop-ups are 8' x 8' but they come in 10' x 10' also.

I actually grow seeds for nurseries as well. Things like burgundy
sunflowers, tithonia, etc. I never make a cent, but it supports my
compost addiction!

I've done bartering with local nurseries also. It's fun!

I generally scatter seeds for the ones that will eat in really nasty
weather. They are generally grateful. :-)

Hummingbirds eat seeds? What kind?

You didn't specify _just_ hummingbirds. ;-)

They emptied three feeders twice
yesterday. I woke this morning and no hard freeze. My clematis is
still in bloom and the ponds don't have ice on them. It's cold, but
fortunately not below freezing. Hopefully THAT is the last of THAT!

At this point, I'm not going to hold my breath. :-(

I haven't braved the garden walk about yet. I just woke up and I
can't see yet, not to mention it is damn cold out thare in them thare
hills.

It didn't freeze in the hill country so you are probably ok.
I checked the temp outside about 3 am and the porch thermometer said 33
degrees.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.