Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Weedkiller for large areas of brambles

In article ,
Chris Wilson writes:
| I need to kill brambles on a large (11 acre) piece of land. Some is down
| the length of a ditch on one boundary, other areas are in woodland and in
| patches on grassland. There's probably at least one acre of the stuff in
| total. I tried digging some out by the roots, but it's just a none starter,
| time wise, I need a chemical attack. I am wanting to put 3 Highland cattle
| on this land later in the year so would prefer something that will still
| allow this. What weed killers do you recommend and when and how should I
| apply please? Please don't let this descend into a debate on the rights and
| wrongs of a chemical attack

Why? Seriously. The alternative is to cut them down to the ground,
dispose of (burn) the residue, and see how well the cattle dispose
of the shoots. Cattle will eat YOUNG bramble shoots together with
grass (more by accident than anything), and trample more of them.
You might need to hit the brambles a few times, depending on the
schedule.

If it were pigs or goats, doing that would definitely remove the
brambles, but I don't know about cattle.

Even using glyphosate, you would really need to cut the brambles
down first, anyway, as it is much less effective on second-year
shoots. Glyphosate is what you should use, if you use a chemical.
Tumbleweed, Roundup etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.