Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weedkiller for large areas of brambles

In article ,
Chris Wilson writes:
| I need to kill brambles on a large (11 acre) piece of land. Some is down
| the length of a ditch on one boundary, other areas are in woodland and in
| patches on grassland. There's probably at least one acre of the stuff in
| total. I tried digging some out by the roots, but it's just a none starter,
| time wise, I need a chemical attack. I am wanting to put 3 Highland cattle
| on this land later in the year so would prefer something that will still
| allow this. What weed killers do you recommend and when and how should I
| apply please? Please don't let this descend into a debate on the rights and
| wrongs of a chemical attack

Why? Seriously. The alternative is to cut them down to the ground,
dispose of (burn) the residue, and see how well the cattle dispose
of the shoots. Cattle will eat YOUNG bramble shoots together with
grass (more by accident than anything), and trample more of them.
You might need to hit the brambles a few times, depending on the
schedule.

If it were pigs or goats, doing that would definitely remove the
brambles, but I don't know about cattle.

Even using glyphosate, you would really need to cut the brambles
down first, anyway, as it is much less effective on second-year
shoots. Glyphosate is what you should use, if you use a chemical.
Tumbleweed, Roundup etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Best Regards,
Chris
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
news
I need to kill brambles on a large (11 acre) piece of land. Some is down
the length of a ditch on one boundary, other areas are in woodland and in
patches on grassland. There's probably at least one acre of the stuff in
total. I tried digging some out by the roots, but it's just a none
starter,
time wise, I need a chemical attack. I am wanting to put 3 Highland cattle
on this land later in the year so would prefer something that will still
allow this.

I don't know about weedkillers but I do know that once cut down and probably
burned, just mowing the re growth now and then will stop it coming back.

Mike
www.farend.org.uk

Old 10-04-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Glyphosate is a waste of time for killing brambles. It will make them look
poorly for a few weeks then they continue growing, slightly deformed. Even
with repeat treatments it does not kill them. I know because I tried on 1/2
acre brambles.

I also tried the pick and dig method, but if any root is left in (which it
will be) they will just shoot again. The problem is the underground runners.
Very difficult to get rid of.

In the end I used a specific bramble weedkiller - sorry I can't tell you the
brand name but it was made by "Bayer". I can give you the composition: 20g/l
fluroxypyr (ester-1-methylheptyl) and 60 g/l triclopyr (a form of
triethylamine). So look out for that on the box. Hope this helps.

Norman Digger.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
news
I need to kill brambles on a large (11 acre) piece of land. Some is down
the length of a ditch on one boundary, other areas are in woodland and in
patches on grassland. There's probably at least one acre of the stuff in
total. I tried digging some out by the roots, but it's just a none
starter,
time wise, I need a chemical attack. I am wanting to put 3 Highland cattle
on this land later in the year so would prefer something that will still
allow this. What weed killers do you recommend and when and how should I
apply please? Please don't let this descend into a debate on the rights
and
wrongs of a chemical attack

--
Best Regards,
Chris

I inherited half an acre of brambles with a house I bought in Leicester. I
cut them down with a Rotosythe, went over them a couple of times, then let
the land out to a girl with a couple of horses!!

Now got a couple of blocks of flats on it :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I inherited half an acre of brambles with a house I bought in Leicester. I
cut them down with a Rotosythe, went over them a couple of times, then let
the land out to a girl with a couple of horses!!

Now got a couple of blocks of flats on it :-))

Mike

Which killed the brambles - the horses or a thousand tons of concrete?

I can't help wondering if those people living on the ground floor are having
problems with their floorboards mysteriously lifting!

Norman Digger

Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Norman Digger" wrote in message
I inherited half an acre of brambles with a house I bought in Leicester.
I cut them down with a Rotosythe, went over them a couple of times, then
let the land out to a girl with a couple of horses!!

Now got a couple of blocks of flats on it :-))

Mike

Which killed the brambles - the horses

The Brambles were taken down to ground level and mown and mown and mown then
the horses put on. This was over a period of a couple of years.

or a thousand tons of concrete?

Clear before the building took place. I was 'Flavour of the month' when the
site was cleared and was a nice green field :-))

I can't help wondering if those people living on the ground floor are
having problems with their floorboards mysteriously lifting!

:-))

I don't think so ;-)

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:06:04 +0100, Chris Wilson
wrote:

I need to kill brambles on a large (11 acre) piece of land. Some is down
the length of a ditch on one boundary, other areas are in woodland and in
patches on grassland. There's probably at least one acre of the stuff in
total. I tried digging some out by the roots, but it's just a none starter,
time wise, I need a chemical attack. I am wanting to put 3 Highland cattle
on this land later in the year so would prefer something that will still
allow this. What weed killers do you recommend and when and how should I
apply please? Please don't let this descend into a debate on the rights and
wrongs of a chemical attack

Don't use chemicals, and certainly not the amount you would
continually need on 11 acres.

Get yourself a decent paraffin flame gun, such as
http://tinyurl.com/2bwdqw or similar, expensive but really do the job
properly.

DONT be tempted to buy the cheapies that run off a gas can, it'll
never work.

If you like DIY, why not make your own? http://tinyurl.com/f2jxz
--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter by adding to your kill file..
Old 10-04-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
news
I need to kill brambles on a large (11 acre) piece of land. Some is down
the length of a ditch on one boundary, other areas are in woodland and in
patches on grassland. There's probably at least one acre of the stuff in
total. I tried digging some out by the roots, but it's just a none
starter,
time wise, I need a chemical attack. I am wanting to put 3 Highland cattle
on this land later in the year so would prefer something that will still
allow this. What weed killers do you recommend and when and how should I
apply please? Please don't let this descend into a debate on the rights
and
wrongs of a chemical attack

Hire/beg/steal or borrow a good out-front flail mower and knock em down for
the cattle to trample and eat later when the new shoots appear

Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Pete ‹(•¿•)›" writes:

| Get yourself a decent paraffin flame gun, such as
| http://tinyurl.com/2bwdqw or similar, expensive but really do the job
| properly.
|
| DONT be tempted to buy the cheapies that run off a gas can, it'll
| never work.
|
| If you like DIY, why not make your own? http://tinyurl.com/f2jxz

It's a long time since we had a troll posting under the name of Pete!

Anyway, a wimpish little thing like that will only burn the tops off.
You need a proper vehicle-mounted flamethrower, or to scrounge a
disused tokamak and make a plasma gun. Now, THERE'S a REAL way of
getting rid of weeds!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/4/07 00:11, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Pete ‹(•¿•)›" writes:

| Get yourself a decent paraffin flame gun, such as
| http://tinyurl.com/2bwdqw or similar, expensive but really do the job
| properly.
|
| DONT be tempted to buy the cheapies that run off a gas can, it'll
| never work.
|
| If you like DIY, why not make your own? http://tinyurl.com/f2jxz

It's a long time since we had a troll posting under the name of Pete!

Anyway, a wimpish little thing like that will only burn the tops off.
You need a proper vehicle-mounted flamethrower, or to scrounge a
disused tokamak and make a plasma gun. Now, THERE'S a REAL way of
getting rid of weeds!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

A friend of mine trying to clear large swathes of bracken used to swear by a
Sea Harrier. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 10, 6:02Â*pm, "Pete ‹(•¿•)›"
wrote:

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
Â*the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.

You could use the brambles to make a large number of crowns?