Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Default Multi-stemmed birches

On 5 Apr, 13:20, "Dave Hill" wrote:
On 5 Apr, 11:36, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article .com,"Ornata" writes:

| I have several seedlings of Betula albosinensis and Betula utilis, and
| I would like to try growing some of them as multi-stemmed trees. I
| understand that this can be achieved by pruning them to the ground,
| after which multiple stems are thrown up. Could anybody help, please,
| with the following questions?

I am not an expert, but the following are fairly general answers:

| 1) At what stage in the tree's development should it be done, e.g.
| how old, or at what thickness of stem?

Any time after it has produced a couple of 'nodes' (for most
broad-leaved trees, that is leaf-stem attachments), from which it
might branch. You may need to repeat it on the more vigorous shoot,
to balance them and to get the requisite number of stems.

| 2) When would be the best time of year to do it? I know birches can
| bleed a lot of sap.

Not from late winter to midsummer, certainly. I would do it after
leaf fall and before the end of January (in Cambridge).

| 3) Does this method of growth have an impact on the tree's mature
| height, i.e. will I end up with a shorter tree?

Probably. Not necessarily by much, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If you have several then why not plant them as clumps instead.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll attempt a bit of butchery
this autumn when they're dormant. I'll keep them as separate trees
rather than planting several together, because there might be
variations in bark colour (which I suppose could look interesting but
then again it might just look odd!)