Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Surving the storm (aka @#$#()$)&%^%)(&#@ WEATHER!)

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:21:48 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Barn swallows are so awesome. :-)
I'm a bit envious!

My entrance has a vestibule and they like that setting high up on the
rock. We have a TON of purple martins in the area as there are myriad
nests and gourds all over the place. It is pretty cool.

I wonder...

I'm fixin' to build a "doggy palace" for the two Lab/chows out back.
I'm going to give them a porch/deck but had not planned on covering it.

I wonder if they'd colonize it?

Doubtful. They've never colonized the henhouse and it has an 8 ft. roof
with side vents. The pigeons probably keep them away.

All I have nest here are sparrows and redbirds in the grape vines, and
house wrens in the birdhouse gourds I provide for them, and usually at
least one pair of mockingbirds per year.

Wonderful! You have good conditions for the locals! We always have
several Cardinal nests with babies and days later no babies. It
always breaks my heart off. The Cardinals like nesting in my Bay
Laurel tree, which is now over ten feet tall!

They do develop so quickly. I like to watch the wren nests develop.
The cardinals stay pretty well hidden until they leave then nests, then
I can watch the family groups. They seem to stay together for quite
awhile.

Others may nest high in the trees where I never see them as I do find
the occasional odd shell with a perfect circle cut in it indicating a
hatching, but I'm not skilled at identifying the birds from their
shells! G

If you find a shell the size of a grain of rice, it could be a
hummingbird or an anole.

No, these shells are about the size of a Robin egg but white with brown
speckles.

I do have Anoles (and Western Fence Lizards) but the only eggs I find in
quantity are Gecko eggs. They nest up in my attic. Guys rewiring my
phones found egg masses in the corners and along the edges of the attic.
I have Geckos galore and am happy about it! :-)

The Toads are slowly gaining in numbers too and I see the occasional
leopard frog. I've only ever seen one skink. They are cool and I wish I
had more of them!

I also occasionally find a legless lizard (aka "glass snake) if I am
wandering around at night for some reason, or accidently disturb one
under a large rock when I have to move things around for some reason.
Usually weeding.

There is no shortage of skinks this year and
I've seen at least ten baby rat snakes and several corn snakes. So
cute with their little forked tongues.

This suburban area is too populated for many snakes, unfortunately, and
the dogs tend to kill them much to my sorrow. :-(
The only snakes I see with much frequency are Rough Ground Snakes as
they stay under cover for the most part.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.