Old 09-04-2007, 05:07 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Surving the storm (aka @#$#()$)&%^%)(&#@ WEATHER!)

How did everyone else do? Well, I hope

I'm not sure about the stuff that had not sprouted yet...we'll see in a few
days. If it doesn't come up I'll re-sow. The basil took a hit from the ice
that collected on it before we got the tarp up but I think it will survive
with just a few brown spots. I'll see how it looks tomorrow before I decide.
The other stuff looks like it made it. The lettuce and roquette look fine,
too.

Over all, I think we did well and the big orange bubble (pictures he
http://www.davidandmollie.com/easter/ ) probably helped. We didn't cover the
cat's whisky barrel garden, but their grass looks fine and the catnip
doesn't look any worse than it did a couple of days ago when they started
sitting on it...

I'm not sure about the morning glories, we didn't get them covered either
but I'll wait a few days to see which ones look best before I thin them out.
Or re-plant. Have to get the hummer feeders up, too. Hope they survived....

--
ie

Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:07:08 -0500, "oldhickory"
wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure yet as I haven't uncovered anything yet. I hope the
Persicaria makes it. All the flats I btrought in made it, of course.
I have morning glories in 4" pots which I brought in, so if the ones
in the ground died I have more to plant. The Mina lobata made it, aka
Spanish Flag. We had freezing rain or hail, but it probably never
made it below 33. Today I'll do the walk around the whole place.

I do know my cuckoo bird is back in her tree. She comes every year,
which is always exciting. She's very private and quiet so I never
catch the fledge, but I'll try to watch more this year. I have a barn
swallow in my entrance and she is starting to build the mud nest. I
love that!

All is well.

Victoria
Old 09-04-2007, 02:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Barn swallows are so awesome. :-)
I'm a bit envious!

All I have nest here are sparrows and redbirds in the grape vines, and
house wrens in the birdhouse gourds I provide for them, and usually at
least one pair of mockingbirds per year.

Others may nest high in the trees where I never see them as I do find
the occasional odd shell with a perfect circle cut in it indicating a
hatching, but I'm not skilled at identifying the birds from their
shells! G
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:21:48 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Barn swallows are so awesome. :-)
I'm a bit envious!

My entrance has a vestibule and they like that setting high up on the
rock. We have a TON of purple martins in the area as there are myriad
nests and gourds all over the place. It is pretty cool.

All I have nest here are sparrows and redbirds in the grape vines, and
house wrens in the birdhouse gourds I provide for them, and usually at
least one pair of mockingbirds per year.

Wonderful! You have good conditions for the locals! We always have
several Cardinal nests with babies and days later no babies. It
always breaks my heart off. The Cardinals like nesting in my Bay
Laurel tree, which is now over ten feet tall!

Others may nest high in the trees where I never see them as I do find
the occasional odd shell with a perfect circle cut in it indicating a
hatching, but I'm not skilled at identifying the birds from their
shells! G

If you find a shell the size of a grain of rice, it could be a
hummingbird or an anole. There is no shortage of skinks this year and
I've seen at least ten baby rat snakes and several corn snakes. So
cute with their little forked tongues.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 AM posted to austin.gardening

oldhickory wrote:
[...]

The only evidence of the cold weather and sleet is the picture we took
of my wife's 1 ft. "sleetman" she constructed Saturday - sitting next
to an Easter-themed plastic chicken that poops out Jelly Bellies. I
found no cold damage to anything here in Cedar Park.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 04:11:55 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

The only evidence of the cold weather and sleet is the picture we took
of my wife's 1 ft. "sleetman" she constructed Saturday - sitting next
to an Easter-themed plastic chicken that poops out Jelly Bellies. I
found no cold damage to anything here in Cedar Park.

It only nipped my coleus, but they should survive. If not, they are
cheap enough. I put them in where I want color to contrast against
other foliage.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Barn swallows are so awesome. :-)
I'm a bit envious!

My entrance has a vestibule and they like that setting high up on the
rock. We have a TON of purple martins in the area as there are myriad
nests and gourds all over the place. It is pretty cool.

I wonder...

I'm fixin' to build a "doggy palace" for the two Lab/chows out back.
I'm going to give them a porch/deck but had not planned on covering it.

I wonder if they'd colonize it?

Doubtful. They've never colonized the henhouse and it has an 8 ft. roof
with side vents. The pigeons probably keep them away.

All I have nest here are sparrows and redbirds in the grape vines, and
house wrens in the birdhouse gourds I provide for them, and usually at
least one pair of mockingbirds per year.

Wonderful! You have good conditions for the locals! We always have
several Cardinal nests with babies and days later no babies. It
always breaks my heart off. The Cardinals like nesting in my Bay
Laurel tree, which is now over ten feet tall!

They do develop so quickly. I like to watch the wren nests develop.
The cardinals stay pretty well hidden until they leave then nests, then
I can watch the family groups. They seem to stay together for quite
awhile.

Others may nest high in the trees where I never see them as I do find
the occasional odd shell with a perfect circle cut in it indicating a
hatching, but I'm not skilled at identifying the birds from their
shells! G

If you find a shell the size of a grain of rice, it could be a
hummingbird or an anole.

No, these shells are about the size of a Robin egg but white with brown
speckles.

I do have Anoles (and Western Fence Lizards) but the only eggs I find in
quantity are Gecko eggs. They nest up in my attic. Guys rewiring my
phones found egg masses in the corners and along the edges of the attic.
I have Geckos galore and am happy about it! :-)

The Toads are slowly gaining in numbers too and I see the occasional
leopard frog. I've only ever seen one skink. They are cool and I wish I
had more of them!

I also occasionally find a legless lizard (aka "glass snake) if I am
wandering around at night for some reason, or accidently disturb one
under a large rock when I have to move things around for some reason.
Usually weeding.

There is no shortage of skinks this year and
I've seen at least ten baby rat snakes and several corn snakes. So
cute with their little forked tongues.

This suburban area is too populated for many snakes, unfortunately, and
the dogs tend to kill them much to my sorrow. :-(
The only snakes I see with much frequency are Rough Ground Snakes as
they stay under cover for the most part.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

The only evidence of the cold weather and sleet is the picture we took
of my wife's 1 ft. "sleetman" she constructed Saturday - sitting next
to an Easter-themed plastic chicken that poops out Jelly Bellies. I
found no cold damage to anything here in Cedar Park.

It only nipped my coleus, but they should survive. If not, they are
cheap enough. I put them in where I want color to contrast against
other foliage.

Coleus are tough... They'll be back if the stems and roots survived!

The only real problem I've ever had with Coleus was Mealy bug. I also
had scale on my cactus so consulted with "It's About Thyme" in Austin.
They sold me a bunch of Lacewing Larvae.

Worked like a charm. :-) I did not see ANY scale this winter at all and
mealy bug only on one plant. I went after than with Tobacco tea and also
quarantined the infected plant. It worked.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

Sounds like everyone fared well..

Any pics of the sleetman?

--
ie

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 AM posted to austin.gardening

http://tinyurl.com/2s8xnn

Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM posted to austin.gardening

GREAT! I love the Jordans for ears!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.