Old 11-04-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Phew! - Pongy Pittosporums

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I remember standing by your Holboellias and having a discussion as to which
| species we each had (we both had two distinct sorts. been and had a close
| look at the flowers on mine and there are big differences, the broad leafed
| form has masses of cream white male flowers with just the occasional bunch
| of pinkie purple female ones, while my second plant definitely has masses of
| larger cream white female flowers with only a few male flowers also cream, I
| am about to try and cross them! I can not see how they can be the same
| species. (both came here as H.latifolia)

There are lots of species which vary as much as that; if they are the
same species, they should cross readily, but heaven alone knows what
you would get!

But, as we have discussed before, the concept of species is a little
ill-defined as it applies to some plants ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.