Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Phew! - Pongy Pittosporums

This glorious weather has brought on the flowering of several species
of Pittospum with a rare vengeance. The most commonly planted is P.
tenuifolium, which forms small trees to about 20ft. here and these are
massed with chocolate-coloured flowers pouring out their intense
perfume in early evening. On the sea front and around town, huge
trees of P. dallii, eugenioides and undulatum are also in full flower
and everywhere smells of honey at the moment. Even with the windows
closed at home, it has permeated the entire house and is mixed with
the banana-like fragrance of Jasminum polyanthum that has erupted into
a blizzard of white over the past few days. Last summer's magnificent
weather combined with a virtually frost-free winter has ensured that
this season's flowering is not only slightly earlier than normal, but
also more prolific than for many years.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
oups.com...
This glorious weather has brought on the flowering of several species
of Pittospum with a rare vengeance. The most commonly planted is P.
tenuifolium, which forms small trees to about 20ft. here and these are
massed with chocolate-coloured flowers pouring out their intense
perfume in early evening. On the sea front and around town, huge
trees of P. dallii, eugenioides and undulatum are also in full flower
and everywhere smells of honey at the moment. Even with the windows
closed at home, it has permeated the entire house and is mixed with
the banana-like fragrance of Jasminum polyanthum that has erupted into
a blizzard of white over the past few days. Last summer's magnificent
weather combined with a virtually frost-free winter has ensured that
this season's flowering is not only slightly earlier than normal, but
also more prolific than for many years.

same here, with the Holboelia and akebia the best I have seen/smelt them

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-04-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/4/07 08:16, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Definitely, even though the outdoor Holboellia is only just opening here.
The whole garden and nursery are just laden with perfume - it's glorious.
And the birdsong......!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/4/07 08:16, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I remember standing by your Holboellias and having a discussion as to which
species we each had (we both had two distinct sorts. been and had a close
look at the flowers on mine and there are big differences, the broad leafed
form has masses of cream white male flowers with just the occasional bunch
of pinkie purple female ones, while my second plant definitely has masses of
larger cream white female flowers with only a few male flowers also cream, I
am about to try and cross them! I can not see how they can be the same
species. (both came here as H.latifolia)

Old 11-04-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I remember standing by your Holboellias and having a discussion as to which
| species we each had (we both had two distinct sorts. been and had a close
| look at the flowers on mine and there are big differences, the broad leafed
| form has masses of cream white male flowers with just the occasional bunch
| of pinkie purple female ones, while my second plant definitely has masses of
| larger cream white female flowers with only a few male flowers also cream, I
| am about to try and cross them! I can not see how they can be the same
| species. (both came here as H.latifolia)

There are lots of species which vary as much as that; if they are the
same species, they should cross readily, but heaven alone knows what
you would get!

But, as we have discussed before, the concept of species is a little
ill-defined as it applies to some plants ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/4/07 15:21, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/4/07 08:16, in article
, "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

snip same here, with the Holboelia and akebia the best I have seen/smelt
them

Definitely, even though the outdoor Holboellia is only just opening here.
The whole garden and nursery are just laden with perfume - it's glorious.
And the birdsong......!

I remember standing by your Holboellias and having a discussion as to which
species we each had (we both had two distinct sorts. been and had a close
look at the flowers on mine and there are big differences, the broad leafed
form has masses of cream white male flowers with just the occasional bunch
of pinkie purple female ones, while my second plant definitely has masses of
larger cream white female flowers with only a few male flowers also cream, I
am about to try and cross them! I can not see how they can be the same
species. (both came here as H.latifolia)

I'll take a close look at both of ours tomorrow. I know we have/had both H.
latifolia and coriacea (sp?) but have never compared ours flowers side by
side. I think the latter is supposed to be marginally hardier.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/4/07 15:21, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/4/07 08:16, in article
,

"Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

[...]

I now have a third plant which is supposed to be H.coriacea but the flowers
while scented are small and sparse compared with the other two.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Belated Phew! Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 1 15-01-2007 12:35 AM
More phew! Sacha United Kingdom 4 13-01-2007 11:58 AM
Phew! Sacha United Kingdom 5 10-01-2007 02:55 PM
Pittosporums Phil Australia 4 10-10-2006 02:02 PM
Phew... finally got my garlic in. Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 3 11-11-2003 08:02 PM