Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Phew! - Pongy Pittosporums

On 11/4/07 15:21, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/4/07 08:16, in article
, "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

snip same here, with the Holboelia and akebia the best I have seen/smelt
them

Definitely, even though the outdoor Holboellia is only just opening here.
The whole garden and nursery are just laden with perfume - it's glorious.
And the birdsong......!

I remember standing by your Holboellias and having a discussion as to which
species we each had (we both had two distinct sorts. been and had a close
look at the flowers on mine and there are big differences, the broad leafed
form has masses of cream white male flowers with just the occasional bunch
of pinkie purple female ones, while my second plant definitely has masses of
larger cream white female flowers with only a few male flowers also cream, I
am about to try and cross them! I can not see how they can be the same
species. (both came here as H.latifolia)

I'll take a close look at both of ours tomorrow. I know we have/had both H.
latifolia and coriacea (sp?) but have never compared ours flowers side by
side. I think the latter is supposed to be marginally hardier.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk