Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Cross pollination ???

"Zimmy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and
pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family
at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading
somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that
I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does
anyone know if this is true?

It's an old wive's tale (or in this case an old uncle's tale). It won't
happen to the fruit this year. The only way it could happen is if you
wanted to save seed from this years crop to plant out in subsequent years.
Ignore your Great Unlce.