Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Cross pollination ???

Zimmy wrote:

Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and
pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family
at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading
somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that
I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does
anyone know if this is true? If so, how might it affect the actual
watermelons or pumpkins? The spot where I was thinking of planting
them is a patch about 22' x 10' (and if they overgrow out of that
area, so much the better)

I wouldn't worry too much about that, two different species. Pumpkins
are squash family and watermelons are melon family. Even if they did the
seed would either not be viable or you wouldn't have to plant saved seed.

George