Old 12-04-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stuart_noble@ntlworld.com is offline

Default Training a rose

I have a Climbing Schoolgirl rose in a container. Last year it bolted
to the sky with a handful of blooms at the top and nothing lower down.
I cut it back to 6" last autumn and now I'm trying to train it to go
horizontally for a foot or so either side on a bamboo trellis.
Question is, what do I do when these shoots get too long for the width
I want? Can I just snip them off at the edge of the trellis, and will
new shoots develop on the bits that are left? If so, can I carry on
doing this throughout the summer to keep it in order?
Thanks in advance for any advice