Old 12-04-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Training a rose

I have a Climbing Schoolgirl rose in a container. Last year it bolted
to the sky with a handful of blooms at the top and nothing lower down.
I cut it back to 6" last autumn and now I'm trying to train it to go
horizontally for a foot or so either side on a bamboo trellis.
Question is, what do I do when these shoots get too long for the width
I want? Can I just snip them off at the edge of the trellis, and will
new shoots develop on the bits that are left? If so, can I carry on
doing this throughout the summer to keep it in order?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Climbing Schoolgirl rose in a container. Last year it bolted
to the sky with a handful of blooms at the top and nothing lower down.
I cut it back to 6" last autumn and now I'm trying to train it to go
horizontally for a foot or so either side on a bamboo trellis.
Question is, what do I do when these shoots get too long for the width
I want? Can I just snip them off at the edge of the trellis, and will
new shoots develop on the bits that are left? If so, can I carry on
doing this throughout the summer to keep it in order?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Sounds like it could be tricky within the space you have ,you have got to
try and train the new growths twining horizontally,this is easier to achieve
up a pillar or a wall.Where horizontal space is limited it is
difficult.Maybe you will be better off putting something else in the
pot,shrub rose maybe,with something else behind climbing the trellis,maybe a
clematis.
Have fun either way!
cheers keith
ps make sure that isnt your real email address on show or you could be open
to loads of spam mail.

Old 13-04-2007, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 12, 4:10 pm, "
wrote:
I have a Climbing Schoolgirl rose in a container. Last year it bolted
to the sky with a handful of blooms at the top and nothing lower down.
I cut it back to 6" last autumn and now I'm trying to train it to go
horizontally for a foot or so either side on a bamboo trellis.
Question is, what do I do when these shoots get too long for the width
I want? Can I just snip them off at the edge of the trellis, and will
new shoots develop on the bits that are left? If so, can I carry on
doing this throughout the summer to keep it in order?
Thanks in advance for any advice

As I understand it, the "proper" way is to train the shoots so they
criss-cross up the trellis but in my experience roses will grow
whatever you do to them.

Old 13-04-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 13 Apr, 13:11, "adder1969" wrote:
On Apr 12, 4:10 pm, "

wrote:
I have a Climbing Schoolgirl rose in a container. Last year it bolted
to the sky with a handful of blooms at the top and nothing lower down.
I cut it back to 6" last autumn and now I'm trying to train it to go
horizontally for a foot or so either side on a bamboo trellis.
Question is, what do I do when these shoots get too long for the width
I want? Can I just snip them off at the edge of the trellis, and will
new shoots develop on the bits that are left? If so, can I carry on
doing this throughout the summer to keep it in order?
Thanks in advance for any advice

As I understand it, the "proper" way is to train the shoots so they
criss-cross up the trellis but in my experience roses will grow
whatever you do to them.

I had 'Schoolgirl' growing over a large arch but this year have given
up and ripped it out. It was just too much of a brute; it threw up
long, immensely thorny stems that waved around and snagged the
unwary. In the first couple of years I tied it in diligently and
pruned gently but it still grew like a crazy octopus. The flowers
were sparse and unscented and the gawky, vicious growth was in my
opinion downright ugly. Nowadays there are scores of lovely varieties
of rose that combine form, colour, scent and disease-resistance, many
of which can be trained as small climbers. For a few examples take a
look at the David Austin website - http://www.davidaustinroses.com/

Having said that, I'm not sure how happy any vigorous rose would be
growing long-term in a container. Maybe one or two of the smaller-
growing clematis varieties would be more suitable (although they too
have vigorous root systems, and the container would need to be a
decent size and kept well watered and fed).

Old 13-04-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I bought it as a patio rose, "perfect for a container", "height 2
metres". So much for the hype!
I've just planted a Phyllis Bide from David Austin which seems to have
a more civilised growth pattern.

Old 13-04-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in
message ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I once had this rose (Schoolgirl) at a previous garden. It's natural habit
is to go skywards and produce all the flowers on top. It was fine for the
location as it covered a balcony.
It really is more trouble than it is worth.

Old 16-04-2007, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Apr, 19:26, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

wrote:
[...]