Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
drsolo drsolo is offline

Default Green Water

bucket filter http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...re.html#BUCKET
for a larger pond use a 5 gallon pail. put the pump in the bottom, stuff
the bucket with filter material
polyester batting without additives. usually found in fabric stores
reticulated foam is great. I get mine from aquatic ecosystem
course filter at the top, mosquito netting works well. bunched, not folded

you are overfeeding.
Jo Ann and Steve got 77 koi in their big pond. they range from 5-20 lbs
each Steve gives them 2 pints of food per night (which weighs 16 oz)

I have 22 koi from 6-14", I know they arent 0.25 lbs per inch, but lets say
my 25 fish weigh in at 40 lbs. I should be feeding 1/24th as much food as
they do, or 2/3 of an ounce per day. Well, I think I feed more than that
cause I been feeding a less than 1/2 cup or around 1.2 oz of food per day.

Ingrid

"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
Sounds interesting. Can you explain this method in stages please?
I have one fish per 231 gallons of water. I feed in a feeding ring and

only
feed what they can clear up in 5 minutes. Any excess after 15 minutes is
removed