Old 11-04-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Green Water

I am trying to cure my green water issue but I am having no luck at all. My
filter is working well and there is no debris in the pond, the UV clarifier
has a new bulb and is working correctly, the plants are healthy, the fish
are only being fed sparingly and there is no food left over.
I have tried barley straw and also various treatments, but the water is so
green I have no idea what to do.

The weather here is about 17C daily and not overly sunny. The pond is 5m by
5m by between 45cm and 1m deep.

Any help is required and appreciated.

Thanks

--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Could just be the spring start up. Your plants are slower
starting than the algae.
(Don't use UV so can't comment there...)
Do you have any underwater plants? Maybe they would
help tip the balance.
I find I don't mind green water as long as I can see about
a foot down.
k :-)

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I wrote ~
I find I don't mind green water as long as I can see about
a foot down.

Make that 'as long as I can see about 30cm down I'm
happy'. And not all that space is clear, just fuzzy.

k :-)

Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
I am trying to cure my green water issue but I am having no luck at all.
My filter is working well and there is no debris in the pond, the UV
clarifier has a new bulb and is working correctly, the plants are healthy,
the fish are only being fed sparingly and there is no food left over.
I have tried barley straw and also various treatments, but the water is so
green I have no idea what to do.

The weather here is about 17C daily and not overly sunny. The pond is 5m
by 5m by between 45cm and 1m deep.

Any help is required and appreciated.

====================================
It can sometimes take a week or more for the UV to clear the pond. It will
clear faster if you have pond plants and they've started into active growth.
The more plants the better.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

you are moving the water thru the UV unit too fast? you also need a bucket
filter for the pump, wrap it in a chunk of polyester batting and when the
water flow slows way down raise the bucket with the bucket in it, then
unplug, remove the polyester batting and toss it. replace with batting as
long as the water isnt clear.

how many gallons you got per koi? I have (22) 12-18" koi and feed 1/4 cup
per day. that is about twice as much as necessary. if the first ingredient
in the koi food is a grain, it is in and out of a koi without being digested
and just becomes waste to feed the algae. Ingrid

Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In news:drsolo Scribbled:
you are moving the water thru the UV unit too fast? you also need a
bucket filter for the pump, wrap it in a chunk of polyester batting
and when the water flow slows way down raise the bucket with the
bucket in it, then unplug, remove the polyester batting and toss it.
replace with batting as long as the water isnt clear.

Sounds interesting. Can you explain this method in stages please?

how many gallons you got per koi? I have (22) 12-18" koi and feed
1/4 cup per day. that is about twice as much as necessary. if the
first ingredient in the koi food is a grain, it is in and out of a
koi without being digested and just becomes waste to feed the algae.
Ingrid

I have one fish per 231 gallons of water. I feed in a feeding ring and only
feed what they can clear up in 5 minutes. Any excess after 15 minutes is
removed.
--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
sig sig is offline

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:42:53 CST KerplunKuK said
I am trying to cure my green water issue but I am having no luck at all. My
filter is working well and there is no debris in the pond, the UV clarifier
has a new bulb and is working correctly, the plants are healthy, the fish
are only being fed sparingly and there is no food left over.
I have tried barley straw and also various treatments, but the water is so
green I have no idea what to do.

See http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/green_water.php

Sig
--
http://koiclubsandiego.org/comment/?r=8
c5505efba1be99ec86b44c857dd7a341

Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

bucket filter http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...re.html#BUCKET
for a larger pond use a 5 gallon pail. put the pump in the bottom, stuff
the bucket with filter material
polyester batting without additives. usually found in fabric stores
reticulated foam is great. I get mine from aquatic ecosystem
course filter at the top, mosquito netting works well. bunched, not folded

you are overfeeding.
Jo Ann and Steve got 77 koi in their big pond. they range from 5-20 lbs
each Steve gives them 2 pints of food per night (which weighs 16 oz)

I have 22 koi from 6-14", I know they arent 0.25 lbs per inch, but lets say
my 25 fish weigh in at 40 lbs. I should be feeding 1/24th as much food as
they do, or 2/3 of an ounce per day. Well, I think I feed more than that
cause I been feeding a less than 1/2 cup or around 1.2 oz of food per day.

Ingrid

"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
Sounds interesting. Can you explain this method in stages please?
I have one fish per 231 gallons of water. I feed in a feeding ring and

only
feed what they can clear up in 5 minutes. Any excess after 15 minutes is
removed

Rate This Thread: