Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith Kent Keith Kent is offline

Default Training a rose

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Climbing Schoolgirl rose in a container. Last year it bolted
to the sky with a handful of blooms at the top and nothing lower down.
I cut it back to 6" last autumn and now I'm trying to train it to go
horizontally for a foot or so either side on a bamboo trellis.
Question is, what do I do when these shoots get too long for the width
I want? Can I just snip them off at the edge of the trellis, and will
new shoots develop on the bits that are left? If so, can I carry on
doing this throughout the summer to keep it in order?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Sounds like it could be tricky within the space you have ,you have got to
try and train the new growths twining horizontally,this is easier to achieve
up a pillar or a wall.Where horizontal space is limited it is
difficult.Maybe you will be better off putting something else in the
pot,shrub rose maybe,with something else behind climbing the trellis,maybe a
clematis.
Have fun either way!
cheers keith
ps make sure that isnt your real email address on show or you could be open
to loads of spam mail.