Old 13-04-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default To sow or not to sow?

In article ews.net,
Puckdropper wrote:

cloud dreamer wrote in
:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In the Vegetable Gardner's Bible, it cautions against starting peas
and, beans indoors. Anyone have a clue as to why that is? Until the
last few years, I've always purchased beans and peas as starter
plants. They weren't sown. My desire to put in starter plants rather
than seeds is based on my experience with roaming gangs of
evil-doing gastropods and their cute little friends, the rolly
pollies, devouring all my little buddies with cell walls at night.
Things have improved this year but the reflex remains.

The book also cautions against trellising beans where peas have just
been. I only have so much trellis, garden, and Sun. Any ideas?
Anyone? Anyone?

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

I've always trellised beans...

Why is it bad?

It's not the trellising...it's doing it for beans where peas had just
been. I'm guessing there's a disease risk between the two closely
related guys....like not planting tomatoes where potatoes have just
been (and vice versa).

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

One suggestion I have is beans and peas both like to add nitrogen to the
soil, and nitrogen makes for green leafy plants. You might get more
plant than fruit by planting beans and peas in the same spots year after
year.

This is just my guess.

Puckdropper

Or add more bone meal to the soil to balance it out???

Worked for me for the bulb (flower) garden,. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.