Old 14-04-2007, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Default can I do this OK?

rb wrote:

I'm diddling around putting new throttle and choke cables
in my old garden tractor.

My new throttle and choke cables are about 2' too long.

any reason I can't cut those down?

They're both armor sheath with stiff wire cable inside the sheath.

I assume I'd just pull the cable back to where it clears when I cut the
sheath, then put the cable back in place and cut it to length.

Advice appreciated.

been there done that, it'll work. avoid this pitfall by devising
a means to ensure the end of the armor sheath nearest the choke is
securely attached and made stationary. usually there is a spiral
spring on that end for tight compression of a screw binder clamp.
if the armor sheath slips you will not be able to disengage the
choke.

putting the new bend in the end of the wire cable can be a bit
tricky. vise grips or a vise and a hammer has worked well for
me in the past.