Old 13-04-2007, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default can I do this OK?

I'm diddling around putting new throttle and choke cables in my old garden
tractor.

My new throttle and choke cables are about 2' too long.

any reason I can't cut those down?

They're both armor sheath with stiff wire cable inside the sheath.

I assume I'd just pull the cable back to where it clears when I cut the
sheath, then put the cable back in place and cut it to length.

Advice appreciated.

Old 13-04-2007, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message

I'm diddling around putting new throttle and choke cables in my old garden
tractor.

My new throttle and choke cables are about 2' too long.

any reason I can't cut those down?

They're both armor sheath with stiff wire cable inside the sheath.

I assume I'd just pull the cable back to where it clears when I cut the
sheath, then put the cable back in place and cut it to length.

Advice appreciated.

Sounds good to me - except since it is only a couple inches can't you put a
little bend in the route to accomodate the extra length ?

Old 13-04-2007, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

I meant 2' too long.

Old 14-04-2007, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote:
I meant 2' too long.

Leave the control wire a bit long, you can adjust down from there. You got
it.
Old 14-04-2007, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
I meant 2' too long.

Some may not know that ' is the symble for a foot or feet and " is for
inches.

I assume you mean 2 feet. That is alot to just leave a little long like you
probalby mean.

Old 14-04-2007, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

rb wrote:

I'm diddling around putting new throttle and choke cables
in my old garden tractor.

My new throttle and choke cables are about 2' too long.

any reason I can't cut those down?

They're both armor sheath with stiff wire cable inside the sheath.

I assume I'd just pull the cable back to where it clears when I cut the
sheath, then put the cable back in place and cut it to length.

Advice appreciated.

been there done that, it'll work. avoid this pitfall by devising
a means to ensure the end of the armor sheath nearest the choke is
securely attached and made stationary. usually there is a spiral
spring on that end for tight compression of a screw binder clamp.
if the armor sheath slips you will not be able to disengage the
choke.

putting the new bend in the end of the wire cable can be a bit
tricky. vise grips or a vise and a hammer has worked well for
me in the past.
Old 14-04-2007, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

rb wrote:
I'm diddling around putting new throttle and choke cables in my old garden
tractor.

My new throttle and choke cables are about 2' too long.

any reason I can't cut those down?

They're both armor sheath with stiff wire cable inside the sheath.

I assume I'd just pull the cable back to where it clears when I cut the
sheath, then put the cable back in place and cut it to length.

Advice appreciated.

Most L&G stores that sell those cables will also cut and bend them to
exactly match your old cables. They have a z-bend tool that makes it a
quick simple thing to put the correct bend at the end. If you got them
from a "real" store and not a big-box store you should go back with the
new and old cables and ask them to cut and bend the new ones. Otherwise
carry on, you are on the right track.

--
Art