Old 14-04-2007, 03:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default compost problem

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message

Wow is probably the best comment I could make about that too.

Most of the literature to do with feeding worms in worm farms advises
us to cut up vegetable cuttings finely and crush eggs shells etc. but
I've been finding particulary with the worms in the compost bin, that
I can just chuck almost anything in and the worms usually attack it
immediately.

Even now after only this very short time, comparing the increase in
size of the worms in the compost bin to those in the worm farms has
been amazing.

I sometimes need to dispose of a dead cat

should i ask? :-)

and I would have no
hesitation in adding a dead cat to my compost bin containing compost
worms. It would be interesting to see how long it took to get rid of
it compared to the 18 days it took to get rid of rid of the heads,
feet & feathers beaks & all those chickens.

thinking about it, i suspect that if a worm farm or bed is running very
well, there must be a symbiotic relationship between the worms & other
bacteria within; and once this is happening, decomposition happens really
fast. i mean, a worm couldn't eat a chicken beak unless it was dissolving
steadily already :-) your worm bin must have reached that marvellous point
where it's all go. when i had a worm farm (tragedy ensued) i just never got
to that point - it was always slow. then it all went bung & that was that.
yours sounds excellent!!

I only got into worm farms a couple of months ago as a means of
getting rid of dog poo, but have since read that it wasn't such a good
idea to compost dog poo anyway. The better alternative appears to be
to let the local council remove dog poo each week along with the
garbage.

why do you say?

i know there's two schools of thought on poo: one is that all poo is good
(that would be me) & the other that carnivorous or omnivorous poo is bad,
only vegetarian poo is good. to me, the latter idea makes no sense - but
anyway, why do you say that?
kylie