Old 14-04-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Using overalpping stones to deeepne pond?

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
. ..
Before I start with my answer, I guess I better tell you that I have
enjoyed lurking on the new group. Had to leave a while back and find a
new home. Now I will share time with both. This is back to what we once
had. Thumbs up. (bottom)

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I'd like to deepen the pond this year and make it slightly bigger in
diameter. The plan was to move the shrub (flowering crab) and replace the
waterfall with a waterwheel. I was just looking at those stone blocks
that they use to raise flowerbeds and thinking I could use these to
deepen the pond.

I rebuilt my first real liner pond in 2005, removing the plant shelves and
raising the sides of the pond about 2 feet with the stackable landscape
blocks. I then covered the blocks with a geotextile fabric to protect the
liner. You can see the old pond with the block being finished before the
trade over, and the new finished pond on
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondpage6.html. Sorry I don't have
any distant shots on the site to show other views. The pond is now about
42 inches deep. The block is holding up fine. I did use the 6 inch thick
block. They weigh in at about 75 pounds per block. The thinner 4 inch
thick block probably does not have the mmmph to hold back much water.

Thanks Rich,

The end result looks pretty good, but I hadn't really considered using the
HUGE stones. :-) Although I suspect you're right, there may not be much
choice. Are these Unilock stones or some generic variety? Do you remember
the style?

I was considering building a little bump (half wall) on the side to conceal
some sort of filter with outflow.