Old 28-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Mike Noren

Default Using superglue to fastening plants

Dave Millman wrote in message ...

Cyanoacrylate was developed for emergency wound closure in field
hospitals. That's why it sticks to your skin so well. Aquarists use it
often, for your plant application and also with ornaments and rock
structures, caves, etc.

Yes, it seems they do, although there's no mention of it on the net.

The only thing I've found while searching the net prior to posting
here was two admonitions NOT to use cyanoacrylate to fasten plants,
but it didn't say why.

I guessed it was due to cyanoacrylate dissolving slowly in water, but
I wasn't sure - I thought that perhaps it's more toxic to plants than
animals. It does, after all, give off toxic gas and significant heat
while curing.

I'm not sure using superglue to glue rock structures is a good idea,
though, considering that it dissolves in water - that's part of the
point of using it for attaching plants or corals, as they attach to
the object on their own eventually, but for rockwork I think I'd use
some more permanent glue instead...