Old 27-03-2003, 01:20 AM
zxcvbob

Default Using superglue to fastening plants

Mike Noren wrote:

In marine aquaria superglue/krazyglue is used to fasten fragments of
live corals to rocks, to give them time to attach to the rock.

Does anyone know of any reason why superglue could not be used to
fasten freshwater plants to rocks, roots etc?

I know it's not done, but - why not?

Wha'd'ya mean it's not done? That's what I do with java ferns. It
works very well.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join
the search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 27-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Wilma Duncan

Mike a friend of mine used hits to attach small java fern starts to rocks,
worked great and so far no damage to his fish.
Wilma
om...

Old 27-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Don't know what kind of affect the glue will have in the water...the natural
way is probably best however: I've tied my java fern to drifwood/rock by
using elastic bands. Then after several weeks I cut the bands off and the
plant has naturally adhered to the surfaces.

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

om...

Old 27-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Mike Noren

zxcvbob wrote in message ...

I know it's not done, but - why not?

Wha'd'ya mean it's not done? That's what I do with java ferns. It
works very well.

Lol! Sorry, I had just never heard of it being used.

So - no problems with toxicity to plants or fish, then?

Bob

Old 27-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Dave Millman

Mike Noren wrote:

In marine aquaria superglue/krazyglue is used to fasten fragments of
live corals to rocks, to give them time to attach to the rock.

Does anyone know of any reason why superglue could not be used to
fasten freshwater plants to rocks, roots etc?

I know it's not done, but - why not?

Cyanoacrylate was developed for emergency wound closure in field
hospitals. That's why it sticks to your skin so well. Aquarists use it
often, for your plant application and also with ornaments and rock
structures, caves, etc.

Old 28-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Mike Noren

Dave Millman wrote in message ...

Cyanoacrylate was developed for emergency wound closure in field
hospitals. That's why it sticks to your skin so well. Aquarists use it
often, for your plant application and also with ornaments and rock
structures, caves, etc.

Yes, it seems they do, although there's no mention of it on the net.

The only thing I've found while searching the net prior to posting
here was two admonitions NOT to use cyanoacrylate to fasten plants,
but it didn't say why.

I guessed it was due to cyanoacrylate dissolving slowly in water, but
I wasn't sure - I thought that perhaps it's more toxic to plants than
animals. It does, after all, give off toxic gas and significant heat
while curing.

I'm not sure using superglue to glue rock structures is a good idea,
though, considering that it dissolves in water - that's part of the
point of using it for attaching plants or corals, as they attach to
the object on their own eventually, but for rockwork I think I'd use
some more permanent glue instead...
Old 28-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim Miller

my experience with cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) is in model airplane
building. it rapidly plasticises woody structures and i'd expect it to do so
with stem plants thereby effectively killing the area of contact with the
glue and below it. the area above the glue might develop roots however.
short term, water accelerates the curing of CA but CA's longterm water
resistance isn't good. i don't know whether it breaks down into troublesome
substances in aquaria however.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
om...

Old 28-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Velvet

"Jim Miller" wrote in message
my experience with cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) is in model airplane
building. it rapidly plasticises woody structures and i'd expect it to do

so
with stem plants thereby effectively killing the area of contact with the
glue and below it. the area above the glue might develop roots however.
short term, water accelerates the curing of CA but CA's longterm water
resistance isn't good. i don't know whether it breaks down into

troublesome
substances in aquaria however.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Mike Noren" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Um, I thought it was silicon sealant that they used for underwater sticking
of features/things together, but I might be wrong. Of course, said sticking
has to occur out of water...

Velvet

Old 28-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Mike Noren

"Jim Miller" wrote in message ...
my experience with cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) is in model airplane
building. it rapidly plasticises woody structures and i'd expect it to do so
with stem plants thereby effectively killing the area of contact with the
glue and below it.

I'm sorry, I don't understand - are you saying that it renders wood
soft? If so, is it via the heat produced while curing, or by actually
dissolving cellulose?
Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim Miller

plasticise meaning to turn it to nearly hard rock. turns cellulose very
stiff and brittle.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Mike Noren" wrote in message
om...

Old 29-03-2003, 02:56 AM
zxcvbob

Mike Noren wrote:

zxcvbob wrote in message ...

I know it's not done, but - why not?

Wha'd'ya mean it's not done? That's what I do with java ferns. It
works very well.

Lol! Sorry, I had just never heard of it being used.

So - no problems with toxicity to plants or fish, then?

Bob

No problems that I've found.

I use the "CA+" gap-filling super glue from a hobby shop. The water
eventually deteriorates the glue, but by then the plant has attached
itself to the rock.

Best regards,
Bob