Old 14-04-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Norman Digger Norman Digger is offline

Default Home made cloche

"George.com" wrote in message
I knocked up a garden cloche today for $10 nz and an hours work. I am quite
pleased with myself. I used some scrap 2x4, old polyethelene pipe and some
old plastic sitting in the garage. The cloche is 2m by 1.3m and was bog
easy. I reckon it is able to withstand a very gentle breeze and light
drizzle with no problems.

Interested to hear what others have used to make cloches.

I used the "Geoff Hamilton" method (he used to present Gardeners World years
ago) similar to yours, using blue polyethylene water piping (available from
Wickes) as hoops with a stick pushed into each end and into the ground, and
with some clear polythene sheeting - quite cheap to buy if you get it on the
roll from a builders merchant (it is used primarily as underfloor waterproof
membrane when building houses but you need to get the clear not the blue). A
roll lasts for years. I put a few screws through the hoops to provide fixing
points to fasten lengths of string along the tunnel to provide more rigidity
and peg the string down at each end. A few rocks on the polythene on each
side and a very windproof cheap cloche.

Norman Digger.