Old 13-04-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Home made cloche

I knocked up a garden cloche today for $10 nz and an hours work. I am quite
pleased with myself. I used some scrap 2x4, old polyethelene pipe and some
old plastic sitting in the garage. The cloche is 2m by 1.3m and was bog
easy. I reckon it is able to withstand a very gentle breeze and light
drizzle with no problems.

Interested to hear what others have used to make cloches.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message
I knocked up a garden cloche today for $10 nz and an hours work. I am quite
pleased with myself. I used some scrap 2x4, old polyethelene pipe and some
old plastic sitting in the garage. The cloche is 2m by 1.3m and was bog
easy. I reckon it is able to withstand a very gentle breeze and light
drizzle with no problems.

Interested to hear what others have used to make cloches.

I used the "Geoff Hamilton" method (he used to present Gardeners World years
ago) similar to yours, using blue polyethylene water piping (available from
Wickes) as hoops with a stick pushed into each end and into the ground, and
with some clear polythene sheeting - quite cheap to buy if you get it on the
roll from a builders merchant (it is used primarily as underfloor waterproof
membrane when building houses but you need to get the clear not the blue). A
roll lasts for years. I put a few screws through the hoops to provide fixing
points to fasten lengths of string along the tunnel to provide more rigidity
and peg the string down at each end. A few rocks on the polythene on each
side and a very windproof cheap cloche.

Norman Digger.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Here's a link - click on the top video link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/today...on_index.shtml

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"Norman Digger" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

more cloche questions Franz Heymann United Kingdom 4 11-03-2004 11:57 PM
more cloche questions Franz Heymann United Kingdom 0 10-03-2004 11:42 PM
My Cloche Trish K. Gardening 0 18-05-2003 10:56 PM
Rubber "cloche clips" - help! Andrew United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 03:09 PM
Cloche + Black Plastic - Less Water? Steve Harris United Kingdom 1 26-01-2003 02:48 PM