Old 13-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin R M. Watkin is offline

Default To sow or not to sow?

Hi All,
I have allways started beans and peas inside the green house with no
problem. you can start them in a length of plastic gutter and slide them out
of the gutter in to a prepared trench, or you can start them in pots, but
the gutter is better. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

"William Rose" wrote in message
In the Vegetable Gardner's Bible, it cautions against starting peas and,
beans indoors. Anyone have a clue as to why that is? Until the last few
years, I've always purchased beans and peas as starter plants. They
weren't sown. My desire to put in starter plants rather than seeds is
based on my experience with roaming gangs of evil-doing gastropods and
their cute little friends, the rolly pollies, devouring all my little
buddies with cell walls at night. Things have improved this year but the
reflex remains.

The book also cautions against trellising beans where peas have just
been. I only have so much trellis, garden, and Sun. Any ideas? Anyone?
Anyone?

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)