Old 15-04-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RichToyBox RichToyBox is offline

Default Using overalpping stones to deeepne pond?

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Thanks, did you use any crushed gravel under the stones to prevent them
from settling?

I cheated. Some of my block are sitting directly on the surface of the
ground. Some are partially buried to obtain a continous level plane for
each layer. They have not moved yet.

If you are on a very soft, wet, bog type soil then you would definitely need
some support. If you are in an area with significant periods of freezing
that might lift the wall by frost action, then you would definitely want to
get some form of foundation below the frost line.

On the first pond that I used the block, there is about 4 to 5 feet of soil
between the wall and the pond, so if there were any movement it would not be
of any consequence. On the pond that is shown on the web page partially
completed, it is located at the edge of the pond. I cover and heat my ponds
so frost action is not an issue with this pond.