Old 16-04-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sexysatin sexysatin is offline

Default Please help me choose a plant

Many thanks for all the information posted. I had
absolutely no idea what i needed and now i have
got plenty to go on which was exactly what i was
after.

Rhiannon S wrote:
"Rhiannon S" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"sexysatin" wrote in message

Thanks for your response. Would these have most of the growth in the

upper

part as i still need to access the fence which is 6ft tall

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

"sexysatin" wrote in message

Hi,
I've had trouble with people throwing stones over
my fence from the park behind and i'm looking at
using plant / tree foliage to obstruct the view

from the park. I have some things planted already

(ie red robin) which seem to work effectively but now need to fill in

the

gaps where there is a clear view over the 6ft fence.

Can anyone please recommend what to plant. Ideally grows to a maximum

of

8-9 ft with most of the growth between the 6ft and 9ft area. I would

like

as little growth as possible below 6ft. The width of the 2 areas are

10ft

and another 15ft. They would need foiliage all year round obviously

and

ideally readily available at graden centres in the UK. If it helps,

i'm

in Bedfordshire.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul

As Rhiannon says Holly is a pretty good choice. Plenty to choose from
with different sorts of foliage.
You might consider Laurel or Aukuba which would both do a good job.

The natural habit is to grow as a bush/big shrub but you can remove the
lower branches and grow them more as a standard tree which does take

time.

I am struggling to think of any ordinary evergreen tree that will

fulfil

your wishes. There are a few exotic things I can think of but they would

be

slow and pretty expensive.

I must admit the only other hing I could think of were the various yew
trees, but they are famously slow to grow (or famously expensive to buy at
the required height). How about a beech? I know it isnt evergreen, but

the

dried leaves tend to stay on over winter and you can pretty much prune it
any way you like, it's like the playdough of plants.

Just done a quick google, and this place seems to have a reasonable offering
of stuff that fulfills at least some of the requirements.
http://www.trevenacross.co.uk/shop/page8a.htm