Old 15-04-2007, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help me choose a plant

Hi,
I've had trouble with people throwing stones over
my fence from the park behind and i'm looking at
using plant / tree foliage to obstruct the view
from the park. I have some things planted already
(ie red robin) which seem to work effectively but
now need to fill in the gaps where there is a
clear view over the 6ft fence.

Can anyone please recommend what to plant. Ideally
grows to a maximum of 8-9 ft with most of the
growth between the 6ft and 9ft area. I would like
as little growth as possible below 6ft. The width
of the 2 areas are 10ft and another 15ft. They
would need foiliage all year round obviously and
ideally readily available at graden centres in the
UK. If it helps, i'm in Bedfordshire.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul
Old 15-04-2007, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sexysatin" wrote in message
Hi,
I've had trouble with people throwing stones over
my fence from the park behind and i'm looking at
using plant / tree foliage to obstruct the view
from the park. I have some things planted already
(ie red robin) which seem to work effectively but
now need to fill in the gaps where there is a
clear view over the 6ft fence.

Can anyone please recommend what to plant. Ideally
grows to a maximum of 8-9 ft with most of the
growth between the 6ft and 9ft area. I would like
as little growth as possible below 6ft. The width
of the 2 areas are 10ft and another 15ft. They
would need foiliage all year round obviously and
ideally readily available at graden centres in the
UK. If it helps, i'm in Bedfordshire.

Thanks for any assistance.

For evergreen I'd recommend some form of holly. It has the added bonus of
being spiky, for extra deterence level. If you choose a varigated female
form then you have some pretty leaves in spring and the berrys in winter
too. Should be easy to pick one up just about anywhere.

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Old 15-04-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sexysatin" wrote in message
Hi,
I've had trouble with people throwing stones over
my fence from the park behind and i'm looking at
using plant / tree foliage to obstruct the view
from the park. I have some things planted already
(ie red robin) which seem to work effectively but now need to fill in the
gaps where there is a clear view over the 6ft fence.

Can anyone please recommend what to plant. Ideally grows to a maximum of
8-9 ft with most of the growth between the 6ft and 9ft area. I would like
as little growth as possible below 6ft. The width of the 2 areas are 10ft
and another 15ft. They would need foiliage all year round obviously and
ideally readily available at graden centres in the UK. If it helps, i'm in
Bedfordshire.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul

As Rhiannon says Holly is a pretty good choice. Plenty to choose from with
different sorts of foliage.
You might consider Laurel or Aukuba which would both do a good job.

Old 15-04-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for your response. Would these have most of
the growth in the upper part as i still need to
access the fence which is 6ft tall

Old 15-04-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"sexysatin" wrote in message

[...]

The natural habit is to grow as a bush/big shrub but you can remove the
lower branches and grow them more as a standard tree which does take time.
I am struggling to think of any ordinary evergreen tree that will fulfil
your wishes. There are a few exotic things I can think of but they would be
slow and pretty expensive.

Old 15-04-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sexysatin" wrote in message
Thanks for your response. Would these have most of the growth in the upper
part as i still need to access the fence which is 6ft tall

We have a Quickthorn Hedge which is done in the conventional way, but we
also have one plant as a 'specimen' tree in a border. Bare trunk to about 4
ft to access the fence behind then 'ball' shaped top which goes to 7 ft and
then trimmed. You could have a row of these, say 2 feet apart, maybe closer
and allow them to grow to 5/6 feet trimming off the lower limbs as it/they
grow, then form a hedge on top to your desired height.

Fast growing so you will achieve what you want quite quickly and thereby is
the problem. Constant, say 3/4 times a year trimming which 'might' be a
problem heightwise and on the other side.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-04-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"sexysatin" wrote in message

[...]

I must admit the only other hing I could think of were the various yew
trees, but they are famously slow to grow (or famously expensive to buy at
the required height). How about a beech? I know it isnt evergreen, but the
dried leaves tend to stay on over winter and you can pretty much prune it
any way you like, it's like the playdough of plants.

Old 15-04-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"sexysatin" wrote in message

[...]

Just done a quick google, and this place seems to have a reasonable offering
of stuff that fulfills at least some of the requirements.
http://www.trevenacross.co.uk/shop/page8a.htm

Old 16-04-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks for all the information posted. I had
absolutely no idea what i needed and now i have
got plenty to go on which was exactly what i was
after.