Old 28-03-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

I planed 3 of the above in a large earthenware pot last spring and they
flowered beautifully on their support. For the winter, I covered the
compost with a black membrane and bark chippings and they had recently
started to sprout new leaves. A couple of weeks ago we had a few quite hard
frosts here in outer London and I notice the new shoots have been affected.
Now I've just got a brown straggly mess. Have I lost them, or is there a
chance they will shoot again? They were so pretty and were the first
clematis I have tried in a container so I would hate to lose them.