Old 16-04-2007, 10:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Pergola finished........

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
They're disgusting pests, that belong on your side of the pond (where, as
recall, they weren't disgusting pests). I was only 11 when I left
England,
so my recollection could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing flocks of
several hundred, to thousands, of starlings. House sparrows kill many of
the birds that compete (poorly) for similar food and shelter. I used to
put up nest boxes for Tree Swallows, but it got too depressing when I kept
finding them dead, killed by House Sparrows.

==========================
We've always had huge monster flocks of noisy poop-producing starlings here
in TN, but for the first time since I moved here in 1979, I now see English
sparrows outside the cities. They'd hang around fast food restaurant
parking lots and munch everything from greasy French fries people dropped to
rotten burgers in the dumpsters. I almost always see a few in the Wal*Mart
parking lot. Now that it's building up out here in the boondocks, I've seen
a few of them on my feeders. The invasion has begun........
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.